CL test?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starlighthill, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Starlighthill

Starlighthill Northern Michigan

Where and how do I send material from an abscess for testing?
    Starlighthill

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i did send mine to uc davis. you can call them

http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/testfees.php

susanne

3. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Can a goat be tested for CL when it has no visable lumps? I mean like a blood test?

4. susanne

yes it can. you send the blood to uc davis and they can tell you if this goat was exposed to the bacterium or if it has an active abscess right now. remember, cl is not always visible. there can be internal lumps also.
    susanne

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

They don't call it CL at UC Davis. They call it pseudotuberculosis. I just had a couple of goats tested there. I pulled up 3 ccs of blood and put it into a red top vaccutainer tube (plain one with nothing in it) ( you can get from the vet) and sent mine on ice overnight with Federal Express. Susanne was kind enough to give me the info that if you call UC Davis and ask for their Fed Ex account number it is cheaper shipping for you. I got my bill from UC Davis today for the shipping and it was $16.50 overnight. Be sure to pack it well. If you have some old pieces of styrofoam or bubble wrap, wrap your tubes up or tape them up well and then put them into a zip lock baggie. Then put you an ice pack in a baggie and stick them both down into one of those plastic coated waterproof mailing envelopes. You don't want your tubes of blood getting broken in transit. They set this test up on Wednesdays. So, if you pull your blood and get it sent out on Monday and it gets there Tuesday then can do the test Wednesday. You can also request that they email you the results. You get the results really fast and then later you get the hard copy in the regular mail. If you are able to actual aspirate the puss from one of the nodules you can suck it up into the syringe, toss the needle, pull up on the plunger a bit and then put this syringe with the stuff in it into a zip lock baggie. Try to get at least 1 to 2 ccs of it. Put it on ice and send it in over night. DON"T get this puss on you. IT IS CATCHING. Use gloves when handling this doe and isolate her if she is oozing.

6. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Thank you (both) for the info. I don't have any goats yet, I asked because I will request that my prospective purchases be tested negative before I actually buy them and take every precaution I can to not bring it in in the first place. This disease really scares me! I sure would NOT want to contract it myself. EEWWW!

7. susanne

this is very tricky and we had many posts about it. you can test a goat and she could come back negative but it could be a false negative. to get more reliable test results it would be better to test the goat if she has a stressful time from moving after you took them home. you could make a contract with the seller if the doe test positive that you can bring her to the sales barn and you get your money back back. every responsible breeder will agree to that.
    susanne