CL, does anyone know??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ChickenMom, Sep 8, 2006.

1. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

If you have a goat with CL can it be spread through mother's milk? Also, is the entire animal contagious, meaning urine, feces, etc. or is it only the puss in the abcess that causes contamination?
    If you happen to bring home a goat with CL and catch it in time (before the abcess bursts) is your ground contaminated?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

the puss itself is what is contagious. if the doe has an abcess in her udder that burst, yes it is contagious. problem with cl is that you often don't see the abcess becaus it is internally or the coat is so thick and the abcess so small.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Only the pus is contagious, but if the goat has internal abcesses, you can get pus in the poop and in the milk if there is an abcess in the udder. That said, I think that internal abcesses are more rare than people think. I have seen and butchered several goats who had external abcesses and thoroughly went through their entire system and they had NO internal abcesses. I have only seen an udder abcess once.
    If you buy a goat with CL and you catch it and cull her before the abcess breaks, you should be fine. But knowing me I would freak out and be very wary and on the alert for the next couple years keeping an eye out for an abcess to pop up, just in case.
    All that said, CL is in my opinion the worsrt disease and the most contagious of any of the diseases that affect goats. I want absolutely NOTHING to do with it in connection to my herd.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

CL is the WORST in my opion too. I have seen goats affected with it and it is really awefal and very contagious once it gets going in the herd and grounds. Some goat breeders think nothing of it, that's the scarey part, and try to act like there is nothing wrong with the goat.

My herd is tested and negative for the disease. But if, hypothetically, one of my goats developed CL, that goat would be immediately destroyed, the herd moved to fresh ground, tested, retested, but ultimately, I am afraid I might be inclined to destroy the whole herd if that needed to be done. CL is nothing I ever want in my herd and CL positve goats should never be passed on to anyone else ever, not through an auction or any means.

6. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

I agree with all above and the pus will contaminate the ground for YEARS ... this would also include trailors,shoes and just everything that the pus got on and who could tell by all the fur ...... SCARRRRRRY !!!!!!!!! I wear shoe covers if I go near others goats..... I even wonder about vet clinics ........ what about the cl goats that are taken to vet and cared for and then I bring my goat in for something ???? SCARRRRRY !!!!!!

7. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Just how widespread is CL anyway?

8. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

beware cl is contagous to all mammals

9. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I've never heard that it is contagious to all mammals. Where did you find that information?