CL and milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Oct 27, 2006.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

Can you drink raw milk from a goat that you haven't tested for CL. I've heard that the tests aren't always conclusive. Also, what if you think the goat has it, even when tests say it doesn't?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I personally would not drink milk from a doe with CL, raw or pasturized.
    If the tests come back negative for CL, why would you think she has it?? Does she have abcesses?? Abcesses are the only thing that would make me doubt the test. If she has recurring abcesses, its almost 100% certain that she DOES have CL, whatever the tests say.
    But if the test is negative and the doe does not have abcesses......I'd be pretty sure she is negative. :)
    As for drinking raw milk from a doe that has not been tested, but has no abscesses.....I do it all the time. I do not have abcesses in my herd, but I do not test.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would not drink milk from a CL goat either, raw or pasteurized. If I had a goat with CL, I would destroy it and cremate the body. If I suspected a goat had CL, despite a neg blood test, i would get the suspected abcess tested.

For instance, my herd has tested neg. for CL. But if a goat came up with an abcess that looked like CL, I would stop drinking her milk, isolate her and get the abcess tested. Meanwhile, the goats she lived with would also be in a sort of isolation too because they may be contamianted. Horrible scenario, but I don't expect that to happen.