CL and eating meat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by woolyfluff, May 17, 2006.

1. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

A friend asked me to post a question for her as her computer is down.
    She has a boer doe that has some lumps on the side of her neck that she had last year that are still there this year but are larger.
    I told her that maybe it was CL and that it should come to a head and break open pretty much like an abcess. But she said that they never break open and are quite hard and have gotten bigger. What she wants to know is would this doe be usable for meat and is it actually CL or something else.
    She also thinks the doe may have CAE as she has a hard udder and her kids don't grow very well which is the reason she wants to put her down. She would like to use the meat from the doe if it would be safe to eat.
    If anyone could give an answer here it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Connie

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been told the meat is safe to eat so long as the area around the abcess is discarded. I'd be sure to cook the meat well.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Over the years I have bought two goats that showed up with CL lumps about a month after the move(stress of a move can bring on a lump if a doe is a CL carrier already). Rather than "deal with it" in my herd, I butchered them both immediately. I checked all internal organs for lumps, there were none, just the ones on the neck. So we ate the meat, but not the neck meat which was anywhere in the area of the lump. I would eat the meat from a doe with CL if it wasn't in the area of the CL lump. I would not eat the meat of a doe that had internal abcesses......if it was me, I would, just with care.

4. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyones response. I kindof thought that the meat could be used but wasn't sure.

Thanks
    Connie

5. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Just don't eat the abcesses.

Everything else is fine.

I have a meat cutter friend that says beef has something similar...

Good cutters don't use the lumps...