CL Abcess Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Honorine, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I was over at someones house the other day(I myself do not have goats,yet) and was looking at her new goats. She bought two does at auction, one had just kidded. The new mother has a lump on her side, right on the round of her stomach, and so of course I said oh no, CL. She says that the lump is in the wrong place for it to be CL, she's shown pictures to goat folks and they seem to think that too. For my own personal knowledge could a CL abcess be literally right on the side of a goats stomach, midway between the spine and belly line? She is going to have it vet checked, but if the vet punctures it won't that spread the CL to the other goat and doeling? Can the doeling get it from nursing?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if she goes to the vet she should ask him to remove the whole thing instead of only puncture it. if it turns out to be cl she did not take it home. it can only spread if it is open and the pus is contaminating the enviroment.
    if it is not, even better

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

another thing to consider is that even if an EXTERNAL lump hasn't ruptured, there is the problem of an enternal one rupturing and therefore spreading it through manure as well, so just b/c this one hasn't ruptured doesn't mean she isn't spreading it. Also, try to convince her to take that goat to the vet to get it tested. Otherwise, don't let her go into the area where you will be keeping your goats and don't go over there any more. Thats' about the only solution I can think of... :(

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

It is unlikely to be a CL abcess if it is in the spot I *think* you are describing. Right in the middle of her side, halfway between backbone and navel?? Right about where the ribs end and the stomach begins?? If so, I bought one of my herdsires as a kid and he had a lump in that spot that was from his CD&T shot. It was NOT CL. Also, is it actually like an abcess, or is it more like and undefined swelling?? I have seen heavily pregnant does(or just fresh ones) who had a soft undefined swelling on the side of their stomachs. It seemed like a sort of hernia that went away after a couple months. I have a Nubian doe who is very pregnant and she has a soft swelling on her side like what I am talking about. I'm sure it will go away after she freshens. I hope something like this is what your friends doe has....and not CL, for everyones sake.

5. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Thanks everyone, yes Emily, that does sound like it, and she did just kid. Its a fairly large lump, and I didn't feel it to know what its consistancy was. It would be horrible if it was CL, she's a really placid and sweet little doe, I'm really hoping that its not. I'll pass along all the good advice and info, thanks again!