City water main

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ed/IL, Feb 9, 2004.

1. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is a trick to turning on the main water valve or sometimes called buffalo valve at the street. I have turned them on and off before but this one does not want to turn. Tried both directions but nothing. Do not want to break something so no big cheater bar. Called the city to turn it on but they never come. Called last week and they are supposed to be here today, I've been waiting seven hours. Working out of state so this is costing a lot of money in delays. Do not think it is frozen because I had two other (local) locations turned on with no problem. In Bayshore New York and they are not taking care of business.

2. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Can you ask to speak to a supervisor? Maybe they are bogged down with other stuff? Its possible, are there a lot of main breaks they have to deal with right now? Is there a complaint department you could address?

3. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Yes they are busy now but I am living in a hotel with a work crew and need water to finish project. We set this up with them last week. Water is not in my name so a complant from me is no big deal. Want to go home, do not like Long Island.

4. This is no help, but our townhouse ends up sharing the main valve at the street with another house. Neighbor came over one day & said they were working on water in their house, & the city found the street valve is frozen (not temp, but rust) so didn't force it - would be our nickel to replace it.

Harump is my thought to that, but wasn't my issue that day, so haven't looked into it.

--->Paul

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I wonder if they would agree to partially reimburse you for hotel charges for taking too long? Or the extra you will have to pay the work crew? I have heard of people putting a clause in a builders contract that if they don't finish on time they will get fined, or at the least not paid. Well, except for things they can't control, like the weather, stuff like that. Sorry I can't be more help. I know, I know, its a government agency, so good luck on that one.