Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned about this forum from the OHH Shop article about using sawdust for starting seedlings.

My husband and I are estate liquidators and got a call from my uncle to liquidate the contents of his house so he can move to Ohio. What we weren't prepared for was that he also had 19 chickens, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 12 rabbits, lots of koi fish and all in the City of Knoxville. Basically, he had a set up that is not allowed in the city.

Rather than sell his property, we are trying to work with the city to see if we can turn the property into a legal city homestead. We watch a LOT of YouTube channels to learn how to homestead, and we are documenting our journey. The ultimate goal is to have a coffee house on a homestead, and grow crops for the coffee house and food co-op members. We are setting up two city homesteads. One is in Clinton, TN, which will be commercially zoned. The other is in Knoxville, which is residential zoned.

But first, we have to figure out how to get there! That's what our site and YouTube channel are all about.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Good Morning and welcome!
What size lot are you talking about and what is the condition of the property?
I suppose there is a difference when talking to the city if the current condition is well maintained over say a hoarder's paradise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The land is on 1.4 acres, divided. The orchard and garden space is on a vacant lot and the house and woods is on another lot.

Good Morning and welcome!
What size lot are you talking about and what is the condition of the property?
I suppose there is a difference when talking to the city if the current condition is well maintained over say a hoarder's paradise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts