cistern linning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 2story, Apr 8, 2005.

1. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

i have a storm cellar that is spring fed. the walls are block, i am thinking of converting it to a cistern. Any ideas on what to coat the walls with?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Sprayed on 'gunite', the same stuff used for swimming pools, it stands up to chlorine so it should work.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

not sure the block would hold. cisterns tend to be reinforced concrete . how big a room? potable water?

4. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

I'm sure it wouldn't. Block walls crack when ANYTHING shifts.

Is this storm cellar part of or near your foundations? If so, BAD idea. When it breaks down, it will dump all its water at once around your foundations - maybe even outside in the soil - and undermining foundations is a real chance.

People DO install tanks or cisterns in cellars. I wouldn't for the above reason, but then I don't live in a climate that has to deal with freezing. It can be done, and you don't need a huge tank if you've got a permanent spring feeding it.

Think about hiring a back-hoe for an hour to dig a hole outside, finish it by hand, put a concrete tank in it deep enough so it won't freeze, then backfill by hand.

There are food-grade epoxy paints. I'd use those inside and out of a concrete tank, just so water would never get into the concrete and start the reinforcing rusting.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter