Cistern and drip feed watering system?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kitaye, Dec 28, 2005.

1. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Last year we had a hard time keeping the garden watered. It was just to hot and didn't rain regularly. We watered with the garden hose but the electric pump was running almost constantly. There is also some question as to how good the pumped water is since the house was moved over to municipal for drinking and bathing long before we bought it. So I was thinking that I could rig up some kind of rain cistern with a slow drip watering hose to the garden.

My thoughts are to install a wooden gutter that dumps the water into a large rain barrel which is attached to a gravity fed hose with tiny holes punched through at the base of each plant. I would have the hose valved and open it each day beore heading off to work.

Have any of you tried this before? Pros? Cons? Advice and comments appreciated.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

It is very difficult to get the gravity fed water from the barrel to exit the drops in a uniform manner. Some plant will be too wet while others are too dry. A pressure fed drip system works fine however as long as the water is filtered and the pressure regulated.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Just buy the drip line and feeder plugs,really isnt much cost.Works well,we grew veggies in the middle of the Mojave Desert with drip.Everyone said we couldnt,it worked.

BooBoo

4. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

If you are going to use a drip irrigation system, your well pump shouldn't have to run as much. And it should work better, don't you think?

5. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Apparently, I'm going to need to do more research. I'm not sure what a feeder plug is. When you did yours did you use perforated hose or the hose that "sweats" for you feed. That was a product suggested by the garden centre.

6. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

The well pump only has a 10 gallon tank so the pump starts pretty quickly and runs until after we shut the hose off. Would it work better than collecting the rain water? I'm just not sure. I'm pretty knew to the whole gravity fed watering system idea.