Circle of life

Discussion in 'Goats' started by delphinium, May 1, 2006.

1. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

I am so proud of my daughter. We were fortunate to receive a bred Nigerian Dwarf doe in January. Due date was anywhere from April 20th to June 20th as she was in with the buck for a couple of months. I had to leave my daughter in charge of everything (house, gardens, dogs, cats, chickens, 37 baby chicks brooding in the dining room and the goats) because my mother was hospitalized and died last Sunday. I stayed with my Father for a few days following my mother's death. Tuesday I got a phone call that the goat was in labor! My daughter got the birthing kit together, took the cordless phone out with her with a list of helpful numbers, and even remembered a camera. One buckling, larger than his twin, slowed the process a bit. He presented properly, and as soon as he was born the second came spilling out after him. Penelope, the momma goat was so busy with the first she didn't seem to notice the second, so my daughter cleared its face, suctioned his nose and mouth and presented him to his Penelope who finished up the job. I was able to see the stages of labor and birth through the photos. Penelope is such a good mom, very attentive, always talking to her boys and keeping them close. Her companion, Peaches, visits at the fence and seems very interested in the little guys.
    I am always so amazed at the circle of life, birth, death, and birth again.

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

You didn't mention your daughter's age, but you have every reason to be proud of her!
    You did a pretty good job yourself, raising her, IMO!
    My condolances on the loss of you mom...
    Blessings, Jillis...

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on the babies! And on your WONDERFUL daughter! CONGRATS on both! Good Luck with them babies and the mama. By the way, do you think that you can share some of those pictures? Bye.