Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 56 hens from 4 h and FFA projects. They were sold to me by the county extension agent. They are all from the same grower and the same batch. They were born in March. In September I received the first 10 and they layed the next day. Then I received 20 more In a week and then the remainder in another week. Since the initial laying I have only gotten three dozen eggs. It is now the middle of October. I have tried going from 16% to 20% protein laying pellets. I have tried red pepper in the feed. Switched to game bird feed and back to laying pellets. I have tried letting them peck a styrofoam cooler till it is nothing? I have lights on them, I have nesting boxes and they are being fed and watered. The days are getting shorter but I have always had them lay. Any one else run into this. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
It can take a bit to settle in a new place. I have a 60 watt light going to start the day earlier. I dont give anything like peppers. I use a mid priced layer pellet. clean nest boxes table scraps veggies. Are they molting mine stop laying when they molted. Never heard of giving the Styrofoam.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Never feed trash. Chickens will eat anything and styrofoam is just trash that they happen to like.

Fall is molting time, if they are molting, about to molt or nearing the end of a molt, you get few to no eggs, that's normal. It's also normal for them to just stop laying when the days get shorter. Do you have enough light in there that it's bright enough to look like daytime?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would not expect birds under a year old to be molting. I'm not a lifelong chicken wrangler, but in 4 years of keeping chickens, I've never had it happen. Which isn't to say it's impossible. And if you've had them a month or longer, I wouldn't think they're still upset about being moved. Are they free-ranging and possibly hiding the eggs? Is there any sign that they might be egg eating? Possible some creature could be getting into the coop and stealing your eggs? Are their combs bright red, or still pale? Are you hearing much of the egg song?

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
Is it the pen or the coop that is 30 x 50?
How much roost length do you have?
Just wondered if they are crowded.

Read thru your posts again, allowing them to eat styrofoam baffles me...any funky poops happening?

The feed changes could affect them.

Length of lighting looks good, tho I prefer to start light early and let them go to roost with sunset, but if you've just started the lighting it can take weeks too have an effect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts