Cilantro

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kee Wan, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

I got some cilantro from a friend - and was gone and it went to seed. If I wanted to get the seeds and plant them:
    1. When do I do that. They seem to be well-developed now, but do i hvae to wait until they fall off....or can I get them now, or is there somthing special that I loook for when harvesting the seeds.....
    2. Can I plant them this summer yet - and get more cilantro....or do they have to have a "season change" or something.....how are they planted?
    3. do I have to have more than one plant, or will this thing have self-polinated and produce viable seeds.....

Thanks

2. peacebaker

peacebaker Well-Known Member

In my experience cilantro does a great job of reseeding itself. If you a want a little more control over where it grows, I'd take my cues from the plant, and wait until the seeds start falling off fairly easily on their own.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

To have cilantro for this year's salsa, the time to plant it is now. However, best to buy fresh seed for that purpose. You presently have the beginnings of coriander, which is what the seed is called. Quite probably it will be at least another month before the seed is mature and dry enough for you to save. Then it will be too late for planting for this year. When the seeds are dry, save a good quantity for planting next year and simply sprinkle the rest around your garden. They will become a permanent "weed" as long as you always allow one plant to go to seed!

Martin

4. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Don't know where you're located, but around here it's too hot to plant cilantro. Of oucrse, it doesn't hurt to try....that's how we learn.

Most seeds need to ripen and turn brown before harvesting, I'm assuming cilantro is the same. The flowerhead will turn brown and you'll notice the pods will come off with little coaxing.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Cilantro/coriander is nothing if not prolific! I have a 15 oz. sized jar of coriander seed from ONE plant! And the seed is still viable, even after sitting on the shelf in the pantry for 2 years. :)

I did not know how tasty and useful coriander is, but now I use it nearly as often as cilantro -- just for different recipes.

Pony!

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Pony, how about you and Kee Wan getting together. Everything that I have is a mix of 2 to 5 years old coriander in a 5# honey jar for whenever I want to grind some for making sausage.

Planting now is still possible here in the north. One of my fellow gardeners has cilantro just barely 2" now and it is their second planting. They are from India and use it in some of their rice dishes. No others in that complex are growing cilantro from seed and all now have coriander.

If cilantro is needed for making salsa, there is a way to have it "fresh" whenever the tomatoes and peppers are ready. That is to strip off the leaves and freeze them. I've done it by stuffing the leaves into a quart jar and then taking out what is needed. I think that it could also be frozen as ice cubes after processing into a thick slurry. I've done that with parsley and oregano and it should work with cilantro as well.

Martin

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, Kee Wan, if you want some seed, I'm happy to send it along.

And thanks, Martin, for the tip about freezing cilantro. I found out the drying it is useless. :( It totally loses its taste.

Pony!