Cigarette help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkyehti, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to quit smoking. I smoke aprx. pack a day, for probably 10 years.

I don't even like the taste anymore but need some help and/or encouragement.

I'm thinking about using the product called "Smoke Away". It has been on TV commercials and such. It claims to work in 3 days.

Has anybody used this product and what results have you got.

I am open to any other suggestions to help quit.

PS
    I have tried "Ziban" but could not keep using it. One side effect is anxiety attacks which did occur. My job has me on 32-40 ft ladders much of the time, and an anxiety attack up there could prove to really end my life quickly.

2. Pops Black

Pops Black Member

I'm a great quitter; I'm just not good at not smoking!

Tried a generic anti-depressant prescribed by a pharmaceutical company...I mean my doctor. I can't figure out why anybody with half a brain and any understanding of smoking withdrawal symptoms would prescribe something to help quit smoking that STIMULATES ME!

Cold turkey is the way to go.

Tell me when you are ready and I’ll jump with you.

Pops

3. flaswampratt

flaswampratt Well-Known Member

I used to be a two pack a day smoker. I quit twice.

The first time, with alot of encouragement from a co-worker who would keep an eye on me, I quit using the patch. I stayed stopped for about a year when a bunch of "Stuff" happened, and I picked up again.

After three years of unsuccsesfully trying to quit again I was complaining to the wife that I wish there was a shot a person could get to quit.

There is. It involves a general anestetic to relax you, then you receive two shots, one behind each ear :eek: . Atropine and something else or another.

You'll get a prescription for Zyban and Paxil(anti-anxiety/anti-depresent) for a couple of months.

I didn't like what the Paxil did to me so I tossed it after a week, and within another week I tossed the Zyban.

It cost me $300 bucks, with a free re-treatment if I re-lapsed within a year.

I've been smoke free for over a year now, and although I get an occasional thought(NOT Craving) to have a smoke, the thought is easily pushed away.

This is not for people with heart conditions, and I would strongly emphasize that if you have a wife or husband, that it be a REALLY good relationship. I was a complete jerk for a month, YMMV.

It worked for me, maybe just becouse I was desperate enough.

Good Luck!

4. Hughes

Hughes Well-Known Member

My mom has tried everything under the sun over the years to kick the habit and "Smoke-Away" was the only thing that was ever successful.....she had tried everything form patches to gum to behavior mod. etc...

So, try it!!

Good Luck, It's a tough habit to break.

5. My DH and I both just quit 3 weeks ago, I smoked this time for 10 years, a pack a day, my DH had been smoking a pack a day for 25 years. We have tried quitting several times in the past few years, but since we were absolute bears, it was easier and healthier for our relationship just to smoke. This time, we both went on Wellbutrin about 3 weeks before we stopped, he takes it twice a day, I take it once a day. We will take it for another month, then see how we are without it. It has made the biggest difference in the world!!! We're not jumpy, grouchy, hard to live with, and the biggest challenge was just doing things differently at the times we used to smoke. We got the insurance to pay for it for one year, in case we need it that long. Before I started back smoking 10 years ago, I had quit for 8 years. I don't intend to ever start back again!!!

6. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

LOOK, YOU HAVE A BRAIN.

(Now that I have your attention)

You know they will kill you.
    (Know anyone with Emphysema?)
    (Mom died from it, it ain't pretty)

You know they cost a lot and will go up in price.
    (Think of a new car payment per month, that's what most people spend.)

I smoked (Lucky Strike) for almost 35 years and was up to 3 packs a day at times. For a few years I would make a new years promise to quit. Didn't work.

Kept thinking about it....
    what the hell is wrong with ME letting a darn chemical control ME.

Reached for the pack of smokes...one left...lit it up...wadded up the pack and tossed it away and said...."that's it, I ain't buying no more and I'm too proud to beg". For about 2 weeks I would want one after I ate but fought it off.
    Ain't had a smoke since and can't stand the smell of them.

You WANT to do it. You CAN do it. USE THAT BRAIN.

7. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

I quit about 2 weeks ago. I decided that I'm too young to be out of breath just from carrying a couple of bales of hay out to the mares. When I got down to my last pack in the carton I decided I'd quit. Funny, I didn't have a lot of anxiety about being out of smokes. I wore the patch for a few days, I guess it helped because my DH didn't feel the need to run out and buy me a pack of cigarettes! I've cheated a few times, mainly because I've found a couple of cigarettes in the house and cars. I think I've smoked 7 in 2 weeks. If I don't find any more it may be 0 in the next 2 weeks. It's getting a little bit easier, but I still very much desire a smoke. It helps that there's a few of us at work that are trying to quit, so there's a bit of moral support. Sorry I don't know about the stop smoking products, but I wish you well in trying to quit.

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I smoked 3 packs a day for 25 years.Quit Cold Turkey 15 years ago.But I will admit I still love Smoking,but it isn't worth it.

big rockpile

9. I smoked two packs of Newport’s for seven years. When I decided to quit, that’s just what I did. I said I was not going to smoke anymore and gave the pack of smokes I just bought to my friend who still smokes to this day. I went through withdrawal and coughed up tar and mucus, had cravings so bad I couldn’t concentrate, but I just keep on going. I had decided to quit. If you really want to quit you have to fight your addiction. The only way to be done with it is all at once; never look back. It’s not easy but you have to have the will power and determination that you truly want to quit. After thirty days the physical withdrawal faded away, but for the next two years every time I smelled them I had a mental craving to smoke one, but like I said I decided to quit so I fought forward. Today it has been over four years. I have no craving what so ever. People smoke around me all the time and it does not phase me. I have no intention what so ever to smoke again. I feel a lot better today, healthier and stronger.

10. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

This is my tird time quitting. I didnt smoke that much per day(15) enough to make me miserable.Cold turkey after the first week you'll be fine, the first 3 days are the hardest. Do it over a week end,Its a habit change the habit.The first time We got a new double wide and didnt want the smoke in the house.lasted 8 months.2nd time thought my husband had a heart attack and he quit ,I did it for him.lasted 2 years. 3rd time I wasnt paying 5$ a pack,and this past year my mom had triple bypass 5 years ago my dad had a heart transplant.Both in their 50s.Neither smoked .Iam in trouble.Iam 38 and I saw the Oprah show on your health,they said it takes 10 years for your lungs to clear.I saw what the inside of a smokers lungs looked like .The show had a big inpact.When I smoked the last one I didnt buy anymore if there not there you cant smoke them.I bought $7 in gum instead.

11. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

Smoked for almost thirty years of my life and quit 61/2 weeks ago cold turkey. Although I had been planning and praying about it for weeks before. I realized that if I want to do the homesteading thing the way I want to. ( the hard way) I need to be smoke free. The cost has become insane and I was feeling horrible all the time. I gained some weight from quitting but now that spring is around the corner I will sart walking daily as soon as the mounds of snow are gone and there's a safe place to walk. Good luck with quitting. Heidi

12. “I smoked two packs of Newport’s for seven years.”

LOL. Some are thinking “two packs of Newport’s over seven years”. Let me correct that I smoked two packs of Newport’s per day for seven years. Just wanted to clear that up before someone started an argument stating how could you be addicted over forty cigarettes over seven years. LOL :p

13. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

I quit (again) on Saturday. Had a few last night, though. I just keep telling myself... I can do this.. I can do this.. I HAVE to do this.

I have tried the patch before and it really worked, but this time I figure... why waste the money - I've done this before and that money I spent on the patch was a waste, because I still started back up again eventually. I want to be healthy and be able to do things that I can't do if I'm restricting my blood vessels and making it harder on my body to be really active. Plus, I don't want to smell up my new house this year with cigarette smoke.

I can do this! If my friends and dad would just stop smoking and stopping over at my house with a pocket full of smokes, it would sure be easier!

14. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

You have over half the battle won already. You want to quit and you dislike the taste. My husband and myself quit seven years ago with no relapses. I used the gum and my husband used Zyban. Cigarette addiction is harder to kick than Heroin.
    Some of my tips: change your habits, avoid people that smoke (at least for awhile), try to avoid situations that would trigger a craving, drink a lot of water. If you liked that cig after supper, wash the dishes instead. If you liked that first cig in the morning take a brisk walk instead. Best of luck, you CAN do it!!!!! Take care, Kathy

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

Amy Jo, you can do it! But you haven't quit if you quit Saturday and had a few last night. I quit dozens of times but would bum one from a co-worker because it smelled so good. That buzz was so good that I was right back to the two packs a day. Finally quit cold turkey, except for sucking lifesaver mints, and have not had a single one since 1971. I reached for the pack in my pocket and would reach up to take a non-existent cigarette out of my mouth for many years and still have dreams of smoking. I believe that if I smoked one today I would be right back to two packs a day. Lost a BIL two years ago to lung cancer, at 73. Another BIL with COPD, permanently connected to an oxygen bottle, at 72. I'm not sure I know a smoker over 75. It's not a pretty way to go either.

16. I have never smoked, but I would inhale my mother's second hand smoke. It is not near as bad as really smoking, I know. But I still had problems with my lungs and I still do even tho I haven't been home for more than half a day in 11 years. I watch her try to quit over and over and is just helpless to the cravings. She is just 55 and my dad is 63. They are both not going to last much longer. I can forsee me (being the only child close by) having to watch the both of them die a slow painfull death. They are both sick all the time and dad is worse-having had TB as a child so his lungs were damaged to begin with. Right now I have an aunt who is hospital with 3 different cancers-everyone is avoiding the whole smoking contributes to cancer issue. She has lukemia, cancer in one lung, and non operable brain caner. She will most likely not come home. She is 53. She has grandbabies who will not remember her, and grandbabies she will never meet. If you need incentive, volunteer in a nursing home and ask to see the cancer patients. Count the number of patients on oxygen. For those of you trying to quit, hats off to you, youre making a step in the right direction, even if you stumble. Just keep going. Smoking addiction is different for everyone. Same with alcohol, food and shopping. You need to find what works for you, and fight it with every ounce of fight you have in you.

17. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I quit 12 years ago. I had a significant other that hated the smoke, which made me feel uncomfortable about smoking near him. Smoking also started becoming an issue in public places. I did not want to feel that I couldn't go somewhere because I was a smoker.

I quit cold turkey. I sucked in alot of freezer air and Vicks Vapor-Rub during my withdrawal. Of course, working a 7-Eleven helped alot. I had a walk in cooler and several freezers available to me!!

I did have a couple of friends who tried the hypnosis. It did work for them. I have a co-worker that recently tried the Smoke Away program. He did not have success with the program.

The addiction really is mostly in your mind, even though your lungs will SCREAM for about a week. If you REALLY want to quit and you keep convincing yourself that this is what you want, then you will have great success.

Best of luck to you!!!!

18. Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking helped me. It didn't do the trick the first time though. I read it, it didn't make such a big impression and I laid it aside then read it 5 years later and quit smoking once and for all. That was 6 years ago and I never smoked another cigarette.
    And it *was* easy and I don't long for it at all. People kept congratulating me on my "willpower" and I said "but it was easy" and they wouldn't believe me.
    Of course I don't know if it does the trick for you. I do believe however that it's worth reading even if it doesn't because as far as I know it's the only book that explains the mechanics of smoking in a way that makes sense.
    You would have to get it used as amazon says it is out of stock.

Greetings
    Kurt

19. Karen pipher

Karen pipher Member

You can do it Amy Jo! I too quit "again" last November the 19th. It ain't been easy as I smoked a pack and a half a day for 32 years. Once I made up my mind this time to quit, I started each day asking the Lord for help in removing the craving from my mind and body. And thanked Him each night for another day with out cigs. I also drank a lot of water, took showers a couple times or more a day, as I smoked menthols and it seemed the smell still permeated from my skin and hair! I washed all my clothes, cleaned the whole house, used A LOT of febreeze in the house, and my truck. Cleaned my truck out really good, kept the ashtray full of gum after I had washed the ashtray out.
    you can do this, you want to do it. Have faith in yourself. If ya fail, try again.
    Good luck to ya! And all who are quitting. I hope we all succeed!
    karen

20. Murdock

Murdock Member

I quit on Jan 3rd (It was my wifes new years resolution :rolleyes:), after smoking for almost 10 years. I had tried quitting quite a few times before using the gum/patch/pills and nothing worked for me. I quit cold-turkey this time and it has been the easiest. I thought it would never work, but after a couple days it is all mental. Just gotta get past the physical cravings and get through at least a good couple weeks of being nothing but an a**hole (I got in at least 10 fights with my wife over the most mundane things... it was ridiculous).

Good luck to everyone!