Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all truth I've been in a church only a few times in my life, mostly for weddings and things of that nature, but I've actually never attended church, any kind of church. Anyway I'm thinking of going tomorrow for the first time, that is if I can get all my canning and chores done today :rolleyes: . Well, I'd have to ride my bike there, as my hubby has to work and he'll have the car, so do you think they would mind if I came not dressed all fancy? There is NO way I'm riding in a dress lol! Its a baptist church (and the closest church) so I'm not sure how they would feel about a thing like that. advice? again, I've never been to church before, kinda nervous how they would view me. Perhaps I should wait for a weekend my husband isn't working?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If they won't welcome you in modest pants, you should try another church anyway! What SHOULD be important is that you there.....not what you wear.

Said by a long dress wearing, headcovering, ultra-conservative Christian.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
NickieL said:
In all truth I've been in a church only a few times in my life, mostly for weddings and things of that nature, but I've actually never attended church, any kind of church. Anyway I'm thinking of going tomorrow for the first time, that is if I can get all my canning and chores done today :rolleyes: . Well, I'd have to ride my bike there, as my hubby has to work and he'll have the car, so do you think they would mind if I came not dressed all fancy? There is NO way I'm riding in a dress lol! Its a baptist church (and the closest church) so I'm not sure how they would feel about a thing like that. advice? again, I've never been to church before, kinda nervous how they would view me. Perhaps I should wait for a weekend my husband isn't working?
Depends on the church. Bike by early and check out the folks headed in if you are worried about it.

If you are worried about highflutinism you might be better off biking further and finding a Lutheran church.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...I think I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Lord would welcome you and honour what is in your heart. If they look down on you for not wearing a dress, there is something wrong in their hearts. By the way, my girls and I wear dresses only and are fairly conservative, but I would welcome you regardless of what you are wearing.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
fostermomma said:
I second what RockyGlen said.

Except for the long dress headcovering part.
She was describing herself, not her expectations of others.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I'm a Baptist pastor's wife, and I would welcome you if you came in wearing shorts and a tank top.

The Lord looks on the inside of the heart not the outside of the body. Some people may not be happy about it, but others will welcome you. Don't give up the chance to hear from God because of clothes.

Keep us posted on what you think!

By the way, I wear dresses to church, pants to work here on the farm, and sometimes, I wear pants to church, depending on the weather. They accept me!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with what donroven said.

Please don't give up if this church does disappoint you, you just have to find a different church.

Hope you have a great time, remember, just smile say Hi and that you have never really been to church and thought you might come and give it a try. That approach just might get you an invite to lunch as well!

please let us know how it turns out.

a1

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll let you know how it went! i would be a nice place to meet new people too I bet. I have friends all over the country in my backpacking club and from traveling about but I don't get to see them on a regular basis except for my co-workers and neighbors who are friends!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm a member of a Baptist church. We have women in jeans, dresses, pant suits, skirts, capris.....you name it.

I'm actually the first woman to wear a pair of slacks to this church...this was around 1990. Women flocked to me and thanked me for paving the way for them.....lol.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Just be warned ahead of time, if you go once (or a couple of times) and decide "that" church isn't for you- expect a LOT of visits from members of the congregation wondering why you haven't been to church lately.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Like so many has said, if they don't like your dress,"WRONG CHURCH". If they offer you a ride next Sunday, don't accept that as their dislike of your dress, thats just the way a lot of good people welcome people,by offering help. :)

T

·
0 Posts
I grew up Catholic...and a tomboy. My Dad and I had a weekly fight over me wearing an appropriate dress to Church. My arguement was that if God wanted to see me all dressed up then why did He bring me into this world naked? :dance:

Wear what you can. If they get all snotty about what's on your outside and don't care about your inside, then it might not be the best fit for you.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Women used to ride bikes in skirts. Not that I am saying you should. Just made me think of all the women riding their bikes in the 30s and 40s in their skirts. Wear what you feel in your heart is respectful clothing to worship in. I think as a newcomer you will be welcome regardless. I may be wrong, each town is different, but around here the baptists are the most friendly and welcoming of all the churches. I hope you have a fruitful and enjoyable experience!

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
you mean your going alone not accompanied by a male relative.... in public??

you hussy.

oh wait wrong religion, sorry.

lol

·
Registered
746 Posts
comfortablynumb said:
you mean your going alone not accompanied by a male relative.... in public??

you hussy.

oh wait wrong religion, sorry.

lol
HEE HEE...

Even Jesus was questioned as to why he let his Disiples eat with unwashed hands.

I'd also hate to splash mud on a nice dress. The fact that you are willing to ride a bike to attend should be a good example to some.

You could always hike up the dress and step into some overalls of the hubbys for the ride. Carry the nice shoes in the pockets. But keep the hat on. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I wish you lived close so you could come to our church. We would love to have you. A church is about many things, formost worship of course, but those people can become your church family. when you are happy, they should be happy for you. When you are hurting, they should pray and walk along beside you to help in any way they can. In the right church, the people will help you grow along with them in their journey through the Christian life. You don't have to be afraid to be yourself. You don't have to hide your problems, we are to bare one anothers burdens and your church family should be there for you in good times and bad. Good luck. I look forward to hearing about how it went.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I go to a small Baptist church running about 100 on a Sunday morning. None of us there are rich and normally its jeans and tshirts for the men and slacks or dress and top for the ladies. Sunday evening we come as we are so if you have been working in the garden thats how you roll up. Often I have been wearing that eau de hogs.
Dont be afraid to phone the preacher or a deacon for a ride to church.
Also be prepared to visit a few Churches untill you find one that you are comfortable with. We went to several and if they did phone to see why we didnt go back we just told them that we did not think that their Church was the one God was calling us to.
Personally I like the old mountain preacher type that preaches Jesus crucified died and risen, does not water down the message and can back it with scripture ( not taken out of context ). There is a lot to be said for hell fire and brimstone.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts