Church is Making Me Feel Bad

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by big rockpile, Nov 9, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok it takes 4-6 Deer to do me and my wife all year.It cost $70-$75 to have Deer processed.So we do our own.

Well the Church came to me wanting to know if I would donate a Deer to give to the needy.I basically told them no.

For one thing I have hard enough time getting what we need.Then I would have to Pay to have it Processed which I can't afford.

There is Guys out there that just Hunts for the Horns,I'm sure they would donate the Deer.But I don't

Anyway I got a very bad look when I told them this.

I don't know I've given them $2,000 this year,seems I've done my part :shrug:

big rockpile

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

You should give it cheerfully and with a prayerful heart. Then what you keep for yourself mysteriously multiplies in your freezer. Really it does!!

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Can you do a littel extra hunting and bag 6-7 deer? Then youd' have an extra. Consider the "donation" to be your extra hunting time. Should be plenty of deer out there.

Would they consider a gift on an un-processed deer?

4. big rockpile

That $2K was to the needy,it wasn't my Tithing.I don't know I feel they are asking a bit much. :shrug:

big rockpile

5. big rockpile

Truth with the cost of processing.It would be cheaper to go buy it at the Butcher shop,which is what my wife is looking into tomarrow.

big rockpile

6. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I'd pray about it, and if God wants you to do it, there will be deer galore for the huntin' and he will provide a way to process it. :angel:

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Your first obligation is to provide for your own family. I don't think you were wrong to say no.
    mary

8. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOL think computers! Click And drag Right over to your churches steps im sure they will figger out what to do with it.
    Are you on a all deer diet?

9. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

I have to agree with you big rockpile - you need to take care of yourself and your family first. And IMHO, you've given generously this year. We do have hunters in our area who donate their deer to the food pantries as are the deer culled from the state park. I don't know if MO does the "tag" thing for deer (IL does) so I don't know if you could offer an un-processed deer or not.

10. big rockpile

No just don't eat Beef or Tame Pork.

big rockpile

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

When did churches start assigning donations from members? Sorry if it hurts feelings, but I feel like it's a persons right to donate what they want to give without being pressured to give more. Just cause they are a church does not give them the right to make people feel bad and/or ask for more than a person feels led to give.

12. big rockpile

Well its like the other day my wife ran into a man that is on a Fixed Income,he was on his way to the Doctor,his Car broke down.So he had to get a Room and pay to have his Car fixed.So he didn't have no money for Food.

So the wife did go by the Church and got what she could,They didn't have no Meat.So she came home got a couple sacks of Meat and some other things.So she is doing what she can without going through the Church all the time.

It just don't make sence to me to give,then turn around and Buy.Kind of like one time I picked a Big Box of Pecans.Wife gave them to a neighbor.Couple weeks later I'm buying Pecans. :shrug:

big rockpile

13. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

A couple things...

Who asked you? And who gave the "bad look"?

How many times did they ask? Do they continue to ask?

If not, are you sure the "church" is trying to make you feel bad, and not an individual, or yourself, or perhaps God???

I don't know, I am genuinely asking. We can't answer those questions, but you can.

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

when they start laying the guilt trip on you rock... time to tell them to go pound salt.

Fine a new church. If you dontated 2k and they asked for more....

jeeze.

15. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

...not trying to be a smartarse but if god wanted him to donate the deer why would he not move his spirit to make him give freely.......why the need for a intermediate to ask when much has already been given........i don't think I would buy the "God works in mysterious ways" excuse.....We are very generous folks and we are giving away 30 turkeys this year to various family, friends, a few folks we don't even know...following the practice random acts of kindness philosophy........we do this every year because it makes us feel good......when people ask me if I would give them a turkey I don't particulary care for it and mostly decline the request.......rockpile probably doesn't like the feeling of being manipulated.......JMO.....

16. seedspreader

Hey Bob, I can only go to the bible for that... Sometimes we need to know the need before we react. Right before Christ entered Jerusalem for passover before he was to be crucified, he sent his disciples ahead to get a donkey for him to ride. The only thing he told them was to tell the owner... "The Lord hath need". I wasn't suggesting that this is the case here, but it COULD be... I don't know, that's why I asked.

Irregardless, I don't think God would be pleased with ANYONE giving ANYTHING grudgingly. And that's not a judgment on Rock or anyone, I have not given special offereings before, because I wasn't going to give willingly. My point is it may not be the church that's pushing or causing him to feel this way... maybe it's this one individual, maybe not.

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I hate being a picky pr1ck but thats not a word... lol

rock... donate a box of bullets and loan then a rifle, tell them there is at least 20 deers worth of ammo there, if god goes with them huntiing.

18. ladycat

You're probably right.

19. seedspreader

Well, actually it has made it into the dictionary just like the word "ain't" and is acceptable in casual writing and speech...

SYLLABICATION: ir·re·gard·less
    PRONUNCIATION: r-gärdls
    ADVERB: Nonstandard Regardless.
    ETYMOLOGY: Probably blend of irrespective and regardless.
    USAGE NOTE: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir– prefix and –less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

I'll make you a deal, I will work on my grammar and sentence structure if you do!

20. ladycat

Probably not. He likes a cheerful giver. I generally give only when I feel led by the Spirit.

OTOH, Jesus did say if someone asks us for something, we need to give them that and more. Nonetheless, most of us tend to feel resentment when asked.