Chunks out of wood floors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, May 10, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

The wood floor in my new living room has some pretty extensive termite damage. There are whole planks pretty much completely eaten. Before I lay new carpet over this, should I fill in those holes? What with? There is no active termite stuff going on, just old stuff.

Thanks
    Jena

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

you definitely need to repair these areas before adding carpet. You will probably need to cut out these damaged areas and replace with same. Or else as close to same as possible.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Since you are going to cover it with carpet, why don't you just put down plywood on top of the old wood? Make sure there is no dry rot in the old first.

4. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Cut out anything bad and replace with plywood. Make sure the joists aren't damaged either--joists are the "beams" that go across to hold up the planks. If those are damaged, they may need replacing as well.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Termite damaged joists don't necessarily have to be replaced. For example, it may be possible to scab (nail) a new one onto the old.

6. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

True, but this sounds like real bad damage so it was best to bring up that possibility.

7. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Yup, assuming you got the lil critters totally, cut out all the bad flooring. Inspect the floor joists to see they are not damaged. If so, you can sister up a new replacement beam alongside before adding the flooring decking back.

Anything will do to replace the flooring that is the same thickness. Plywood is a good choice, be sure to glue the new flooring to prevent squeaks. Usually construction adhesive is used. A bead on the joist before placing the plywood.

A nice finishing touch is to sand smooth the seam area between new and old flooring. This prevents longer term damage to the carpeting in that area.

8. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

the house I live in has it's original tongue and groove flooring which is at least 130 years old.

its good and solid but cupped. you could see it through carpet with no padding. I covered it all with thin quarter inch osb and now with padding and carpet on it you can't see the cups at all. I didn't glue it, just used roofing nailes (had a bunch). been 4 years and no squeeks.

if there is no termite damage to the joists, I wouldn't worry too much about the flooring unless we are talking big holes OR flooring weak enough to give way (I had a couple of beams in the walls that were so eaten away they were little more than sawdust).