chronically sick goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hawkfamily, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

We bought two goats a year ago - both nubian crosses and female. They were a few months old when we got them. One of them - an alpine/nubian - has never seemed really healthy. Although she eats well, is responsive and enjoys moving around the property, she is considerably smaller than our other goat, is quite lethargic (doesn't want to climb, jump around, run or play), oftentimes has a runny nose and/or eye, hair loss in patches on her neck and torso, has occasional soft stool that comes out in a large clump, and just doesn't keep up with our other goat. Sometimes, her back legs seems stiff or awkward, and, if she has been laying down for a while, at times she has troubles putting the energy into getting back up, although she always does.
    Admittedly, we are very new to all of this, and definitely need some resources and help with things. Because the other goat appears to be so healthy, we're not sure what's going on........
    Please help!
    Jodi

2. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

sounds like she might need worming. minerals put out for them to eat free choice would be a good idea to. ask at the feed store they should be able to fix you up. i wouldn't wait though.

3. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

The first thing that I would ask is...when did you last worm them? Have you had a fecal sample done on any of them? You can get this done by your local vet. just ask. Second... are you keeping up on their vaccines? CD/T and Bo-Se (selenium and vit. E shot for white muscle disease?) It sounds like this littlest one might have white muscle disease. Third...do you have them on a good loose mineral just for goats? Minerals are a very imprortant part of proper management for these guys.
    It would be really wise to also invest in a good goat book. There are many out there and one of my favorites is Raising Goats the Modern Way by JD Bellenger. You can also get some really good advice from the Hoeggers catalog. I think that you can order it online at www.hoeggergoatsupply.com If not, you can call and request a catalog at 770-461-6926 If you have any other questions I would be happy to share what I know.