Chronic cough

Discussion in 'Goats' started by fishhead, Jul 25, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

My goats have a chronic cough that bothers me.

I checked the temp of the one who coughs the most and his temp is 105 but I need to compare my thermometer to a certified one to make sure the temp is correct.

A large animal vet said that the runny noses I see at times are likely from allergies.

Is it possible that the cough is an allergy too.

They have been wormed with Valbazen so I don't think it's lungworm.

For diet they browse on weeds and willows and each evening get oats and corn along with loose goat minerals.

I've rubbed mentolatum on their noses and that seems to almost stop the coughing for a while.

Any ideas?

2. mamakl

mamakl Active Member

It's funny you posted about this, because I was just getting ready to ask a similiar question... I have a doe who has a dry, hacky kind of cough, mostly at night. She seems healthy in every other way... she looks good, is eating well and gaining weight (she was a little thin when we got her) and her stools are normal. Our other goat hasn't started coughing, so I'm guessing it's not contagious. Anybody have any ideas?

Maura

3. fishhead

Mine started out with just the smallest wether coughing and now they all cough at times.

During the cough they stretch the neck forward. Usually it's while walking but sometimes while they are browsing.

Our weather has been very hot and humid for a long time. We are in a severe drought and there is dust on everything so I assume it is also on the browse.

Also most have some small amount of snot on their nose at any given time.

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I would agree with your vet that it sounds like allergies. There is likely pollen on some of the browse they get their faces into. I have one who gets bad allergies now that she is elderly. She sounds like she has asthma. I'd definately want to get an accurate temp on the one who's temp you took. If it is really 105, that is a fever and the goat needs either Nuflor or Excenel.

5. fishhead

Thanks for the help.

Could the 105 (if it really is 105) be the product of our high heat and excursion of browsing?

6. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

My two wethers cough at times too, mostly when they get excited and start running around. Actually, it is kind of funny. They cough in the winter also. :shrug: