Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Glowing in The Sun
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today my box of Border Leicester wool from Australia came in the mail. It just missed the deadline for Christmas delivery via Sea Mail, but here it is now.

The box weighed 5.9 kilos, or about 11 pounds, give or take. Terrie sent me about 6 or so colors of wool one big chunk of shaded fleece and kilo chunks of some other shades, and she matched the microns of the hunks so they would spin and feel the same.

The wool is so clean it barely needs washing, just to remove the suint and lanolin. The tips are even nice. I washed up one big hunk and some sand and clay came from the wool. It's almost dry now, and I will see how I want to prepare it for spinning. It is a gorgeous silvery color, it started out champagne colored and oh so luscious and promising before washing.

I'll get some photos when the light is better, the bad weather is moving in, freezing rain, and the light is dim to see the wool in. By tomorrow I'll have more washed, too.

I am a happy camper!!! How can wool be this clean and not be coated?!!

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I can't wait to see it!! Congrats!!

Paul got me 8 oz hemp, a McMorran balance and a spinner's guage for Christmas. I've been spinning the hemp about 34 wpi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts