Christmas Update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I wanted to let everyone know how Christmas is shaping up after all the good advice I got.

Last weekend I took all the lights and garlands and hung them up in the living room. I hung the tree topping star from the light fixture and the lights are radiating outwards. Then I put all the ornaments on the light/garland strings. It looks way cool. My son said, "It's like the whole house is a Christmas tree!"
    It is actually better as I will soon have 8 people in the house and it's a small house! My girls will be coming home from college for break, plus the one daughter with the baby and her boyfriend.

I found some holiday boxes at Hobby Lobby on sale for less than $1. I am baking cookies to fill the boxes and that is what my daughter's boyfriends will get plus a good friend of mine.

I went to Goodwill and bought a bunch of glasses and stuff for .29 each. I got wax and wicks at the craft store, crayons for color at the dollar store and have made candles. All the candle stuff was half off at the craft store, plus I had a coupon so I got the wax 40% off. I always buy the girls candles, so this year they will get homemade ones. Some of them aren't turning out exactly right, but it'll work. I have enough to send a couple to my mom too.

Everyone is bringing their music CD's and blank discs. We will have a CD burnout on the computer so everyone should go home with "new" CD's.

Every single year, I have put toothbrushes and slinkies (the toy) in everyone's stocking. I was estatic to find slinkies at the dollar store. That was an extragavant expediture, but slinkies ARE Christmas to us, so I bought them. Got toothbrushes too.

Thanks to the kindness of a couple people, I got a bit of extra money. I got everyone a small gift for around $15-20. The 12 year old is getting a subscription to a video game magazine. He loves his video games and I don't have to pay it all now. I also got him some odds and ends like a whoopie cusion. Things you only appreciate when you are 12...and I found them all at the dollar store. One daughter wanted a CD, so I got it for her, but copied it for everyone else too (good thing we all like the same music). I got another daughter a necklace for 75% off, the other wanted cash towards school books, so she will get that. My older son picked out a pair of pants on ebay (he still wears those huge legged pants that usually cost $60). I got the baby some books from the clearance table at the book store. $2 each. I also splurged and bought her the cutest hat that was on sale for $5. Everyone who is college will get a box of ramen noodles under the tree. That is the major food group for college students ya know.

All of my kids have said in one way or another that they think this will be the best Christmas yet. When I asked them what was the one thing they wanted, they really had to think about it instead of just spouting off a list. They have all contributed ideas on how to make it work.

My car died the other day. I just found out I will lose a few days wages because the factory where I clean will be shut down. I had a second job, but the lady who hired me flaked out and didn't show up to let me work. Life just keeps rolling on as usual, but my whole house is a Christmas tree and everything is going to be alright :)

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Jena

2. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Jena, I am so glad it is working out for you. I raised my 3 with many a Christmas as you just described. Those are the Christmases they remember the as the best.....It really changes the meaning....Enjoy.....And you are making memories.....

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Huzzah!! That's just wonderful, Jena!!!

You're the sort of person who rolls along with life, rather than letting life roll over you.

A very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your whole wonderful family!

YOU GO, GIRL!!!! :rock:

Pony!

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Sounds very warm & loving. You did it! :dance: :sing: :sing: :clap:

5. mom2girls

mom2girls mom2girls

I am so happy for you. merry christmas :) tracy

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Merry Christmas , Jena . Hope you can get that next degree you were planning on . You're a very creative and resilant lady but life just , isn't very Fair sometimes . Good luck , fordy... :goodjob:

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Merry Christmas Cowgirl. Leave a cookie for Santa, And sleep tight. Unk

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena, it all sounds absolutely wonderful...well, all but the car dying and job problems! Can I come to your house for Christmas? Sounds like it's going to be a splendid day of love and happiness there.

9. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Isn't it amazing how the true meaning comes through, regardless? You've done well, Jena -- your family ought to be proud. Merry Christmas!

Tracy

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

This is going to be your best Christmas ever,wait and see.

BooBoo

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't buy Christmas, you MAKE Christmas. I hope you are having fun shopping. As long as the rest of the family supports your efforts, this Christmas will be great!

12. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Well done, it all sounds just wonderful.

13. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

I'm so happy that all seems to be working out for you, Jena!! It will be the best CHRISTMAS EVER!!!

Daddio :baby04:

14. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Now you know the true meaning of Christmas!

15. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

It all sounds just beautiful! The sharing and the caring will make this a very special holiday for your family.

16. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

Sounds great! It's about being together, anyway! I'm glad it's falling together for you!