Christmas Undecorating

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ninn, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

How do I get this done without feeling so gloomy about it? I am taking everything down over the next 24 hours. I usually leave it all up until New Year's Day and then we take it down together. This year, we didn't do anything the way we usually do and I just want every reminder of it gone. It's more annoying than cheerful now and for some reason it makes me very tense and angry. Instead of enjoying my lovely new tree, I just want it out of my living room and back in the _____ box and out of my sight. I have so many other things to do that undecorating feels like a big imposition as well as feeling like a necessity. I don't understand why I feel like this. I love Christmas. I even want to open a year round Christmas Store!! What is wrong with me these days? Does everyone feel like this after Christmas and it's just now catching up to me?

2. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I used to feel sad about taking down Christmas decorations but now I'm in a small house and it feels good to get everything de-cluttered.

/VM

3. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Not looking forward to it either, my house is so cluttered with the new stuff and the dried out tree..... *sigh*** Maybe I will have a glass of wine of two- banish all the kids upstairs and just do it tonight, put on some good up-beat music and just go to it with a new year's attitude!

4. jessin

jessin Well-Known Member

I know the feeling and I hate it. We were so busy that we didnt put much up this year and when we went to take it down it was so depressing.

5. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Our Christmas wasn't the same as other years either. This is the second year without our second son and family. They live in Tennessee and his 3 children are young. They deserve to spend Chistmas in their home and enjoy their new toys or bikes. But it just makes our Christmas Day dinner and the giving of presents a lot smaller and quieter. I love the sound of our grandchildren having a good time. "A joyfull noise ...." comes to mind.

I have taken down the tree and all the decorations in other rooms. We start remodeling on the 3rd of January and we need to empty all the kitchen cabinets; bathroon items and dining room furniture and accessories. The kitchen, dining room and bath room will be remodeled in the next two months. DW is leaving for Tennessee on Wed afternoon and will not be here during demolistion. As for me I won't see my Tennessee grandchildren until April or May of 07.

Yes, Christmas this year was very different for all of the family. I am already looking forward to a better Christmas 07.

Happy New Year Everyone. NJ Rich

6. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I wait until New Years then taking down decorations moves right into spring cleaning.

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been attributing it to life transitions (kid going inot the service and stuff) and being "of a certain age" (i.e. going through perimenopause).

HCF's suggestion to have a couple glasses of wine and then attacking the take-down is certainly appealing... If I really need to weep and get it out, the wine will help. ;) If not, it will make an unpleasant task a little less painful.

Obli-dee, obli-dah, life goes on...

Maybe you could plan to paint the space where the tree was after you get it down? (Of course, that may inspire you to leave it where it is until Twelfth Night!)

:grouphug:

Pony!

8. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

My Christmas stuff is already down and packed away. We did it the day after Christmas.. it seemed so cluttered and with all the new stuff the kids had we needed room. Plus it was the first Christmas without my DD and my mom has cancer(bone,liver,lung) so things weren't quite the same. Cleaning everything up somehow seemed to put my life back into order and that's what I need right now. Now I can sit back and look at the seed catalogs and dream of the garden. Plus I think it was a bummer this year without snow...For Pete's sake I live next to Lake Erie..but now we should have at least 2-3 feet on the ground and instead it's a beautiful day and 50 degrees...not that I'm complaining mind you..but it just didn't seem like we had "Christmas" this year.

9. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I can't WAIT to get rid of it all. I know I'm totally weird, but I hate Christmas. I want it gone and I want my life back to normal, whatever that is. :) Unfortunately nobody else here feels that way and I've been informed it's "bad luck" to take down the tree till after New Year's. Bah Humbug.

10. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I feel a bit that way this year too, which is very unusual for me. As a kid, we always left our tree up through Russian Christmas and beyond, so we often waited until the end of January or mid February to take it down. I usually hate to see it go, because I think that the festive decorations brighten up the whole long, cold winter. I love Christmas. But this year it never felt like Christmas--the weather was too warm, too many things going on here--and now the tree seems to be turning brown prematurely, my paperwhites are all flopped over and finished for the year,and the decorations are starting to look a lot like clutter. Only the pointsettas are still fighting the good fight. Sigh. It feels like spring already, so maybe I should start my spring cleaning way early this year. :shrug:

11. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Y'all gotta stop expecting so much.

I spent Christmas all by myself with my cat. Was worried that I'd get bummed and depressed. So I got myself some Christmas gifts, stayed up till 1 and put them under the tree, Santa-like, then got up early to open them (a tool assortment and accessories for it). The cat got fresh fried hamburger to eat from Christmas Eve through Christmas day instead of cat food. I stuffed a duck for myself (the cat decided he didn't like duck), and am now making soup out of the duck bones. Drove around to look at people's lights--there's a 'outdoing the Joneses' thing going on among some of the people on my street, and the result is an ever-growing herd of light-and-motion deer and fake, light-adorned metal 'trees', with a smattering of Santas and creches. Also mega-cleaned the kitchen as a gift to myself, and tried out my new 'toys' by finally pruning a tree in the front yard that's about 3 years behind in getting a 'haircut'.

Usually I've left my tree up for a long time in prior years and always felt guilty and inadequate and freakish for having it up 'too long'. This year I'm debating whether to aim for the 1st or the 7th to have it down, in a timely manner for a change.

Oh, and my furnace blew out on the 23rd, and we've had record cold (mid-20's overnight--this *is* California after all) since then which I've coped with via electric heaters at night and layers by day (the cat gets a heater in his room all day because he is so old).

But--I had *DUCK* for dinner. My cat had *HAMBURGER*. I worry about things like what kind of shelving to put in my garage, whether I should add some switches and outlets to the electrical system, whether I'll ever get the yard totally 'clean' (weeds under control, everything pruned, etc.).

I'm not worrying about death of an immediate relative (unless you count my cat, who at his age could drop at any time without warning). I'm not worried about immediate starvation or hypothermia. I'm not worried about being blown up by a fanatic just for walking into the wrong Starbucks. I'm not worried about how I'd get out in a fire because there are bars on the windows to keep out the thieves.

Things could be a lot worse, and I know for some of you they are and you have my sympathy. But some of you also need to take a look and realize that your Christmas wasn't actually 'bad', you just expected too much.

Did you have special food? Did you have gifts, and games, and pay more attention to each other than usual? Reform your inner Grinch and join hands in Who-ville. You're all right.

http://www.kraftmstr.com/christmas/books/grinch.html

12. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

My inner Grinch is busily taking down all the millions of Christmas stockings and washing them before storing them away for another year. I think it was the lack of snow that did me in this year. It's 55 degrees outside today!! I have blankets hanging on the porch to air-in December!! It just doesn't feel the same. Of course, with the kids getting older and doing their own things, it's different anyway. Joe went to dinner with his girlfriend, Kim wasn't home at all for Christmas. Brian (my brother in law) was out getting himself a life-and we are SO proud of him for it. Even tho he missed the family gathering, he was doing what he needed to do. He has been putting that off for a long time. Mostly, I just feel like we could have skipped most of the decorating and been just as happy. The grandkids are all sick and they never stepped foot in the house to see the Christmas decor anyway.

Soooo, out comes the Miami Sound Machine cd, open go the windows and ON with the spring cleaning. Since I already did my cabinets in the kitchen to prevent those nasty bugs from next door, I am in good shape. Finished the bathroom deep clean last night, and am now working on the scary living room. Mopping next and then the porch. Hopefully will be completed by Sunday night and I can relax in my recliner with a new project. And after all, there's always next year, right?

13. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Well, for me, at least, I don't think it's about expecting too much. We actually had a very pleasant celebration with family and good food and way too many presents and all of that. I actually would've been happier with less, but was a lovely time, and I'm thankful for it. It just didn't feel like Christmas, for some reason. Can't pinpoint one reason why, exactly, but it makes me sad, since I do love Christmas so much. I've had much less elaborate Christmasses, which objectively would seem less "Christmassy" than this one--but subjectively they felt much more filled with the magical spirit of Christmas. :shrug:

14. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I enjoy Christmas and every year I think I'll leave the decorations up until New Year, but a few days after Christmas I find myself starting to take things down and putting them away. It just feels like time to do it, and I do like the simple, uncluttered look after it's all done. I do miss the lights and sparkle, though. It really brightens those long winter nights. Oh, well, time to put up the window quilts instead...

Like every year, this year had some tradition, and some changes. I'm learning to just go with the flow. :shrug:

15. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I usually take stuff down on Ground Hog's Day. :)

16. Melissa

Melissa member

Mine are down, every year I put up less and take it down soon after. Last year I was taking stuff down on Christmas night. This year I left it up until the day after. The clutter really starts to get to me. I spend the week between Christmas and the New Year going over every inch of my house. Everything is cleaned, closets, drawers and cupboards organized and today I even cleaned my attic. I read once that the Norweigan housewives emptied their houses before the New Year and cleaned out all of the old dirt before New Year's Day. I try to achieve that, but without actually emptying the house...

17. Horselover

Horselover Joyce

Well, I am leaving my Christmas decorations up for a while. They were too hard to get up to take down so soon. I was sick the week before Christmas with bronchitis and could not get my work done. I was up to 3 a.m. the 24th decorating the living room tree and I was having dinner that evening. I hardly made it. I did leave three boxes in the attic and did not put ther contents up, but I still love what I have up. I love Christmas. I just want to enjoy the decorations a while longer. I am a aged woman who has not grown up--just a kid at heart.

18. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

My undecorating won't get done until sometime in January. My first year here, I called and had the electric company turn off the big light on the pole outside the front of my house because it detracted from my Christmas lights! lol. So I have been known to leave the lights on the house up until February or March. I feel they give a nice *glow of ambiance* to my house, lol. And also make me stand out in the neighborhood! te he! te he!

I don't sweat the small stuff. I have about 10 extremely large plastic tubs that I store my holiday decorations in. I buy new decorations every year after Christmas at half price, and rarely trash anything (although I have an air blown snowman who we are saying goodbye to this year, lol ... and yes! he has already been replaced, at half price ;)). I pick and choose different things every year to actually display, to keep things interesting.

For me ..... it's kinda enjoyable to eat the last gingerbread man in mid January with a cup of coffee while putting the last of it up ...... :)

Woodsmokeinherhair! (wondering how she's gonna fit a gingerbread man into her New Years diet .... te he!)

19. Pansies4me

Pansies4me Dreaming of autumn....

I have to agree with everyone who said the lack of snow and the warm temps really made it seem less Christmasy this year. I know snow has nothing to do with the birth of Christ, but consistent temps in the 40's and no snow in Michigan in December is just downright depressing. We always leave our decorations up until the first week of January and I'm usually bummed to take them down, but I'm ready to take them down now this year.

20. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

I save all my snowmen for January - March. The Christmas decs go down and the snowmen come out of hiding. I love them and all their cheery faces! That's how I curb the post-Christmas let-down.
    G