Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a package of these Christmas Speckled Beans on close out last year, and planted them this year. Great germination, the vines are some 15-20' long.

The early pods look like pea pods, so I snagged one to nibble on.

YUCK!![strongbad NASTY!![strongbad BITTER!!! [strongbad BAD!!!! [strongbad

:badmood:

My guess is that these must be for shelling only... Anyone else have any experience with these beans?

TIA,
Pony!

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
yep, nasty pods but great beans LOL Shell them when they get big enough. the bean is about the size and shape of a lima bean but white with red splotches. when cooked they are brownish and really good. you can let them completely dry and shell them and use like any dried bean or shell them while they are mature but not dry and freeze them. they are good either way. I suppose you could can them but I've not tried that

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!

Thanks, I needed that!

The picture on the package just looked so pretty, and they were on close out, so I got them, and gave them a LOT of space in the garden. I would have been so disappointed if they were unusable.

Now I still have hope that I will like them, and I'll save seed if I do!

Pony!

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Can't think of anyone who would be silly enough to try to eat lima bean pods! I could have told anyone that they don't taste good but would never say how I knew!

All of those small lima bean types are good either as a side dish just of them or in soup bean mixes. Most of my extra small ones end up in a mix. Big ones, like King of the Garden Pole, are a treat by themselves as butterbeans. There are 4 varieties of limas growing here this year; Florida Speckled, Tri-Colored, Pennsylvania Dutch Red, and King of the Garden Pole. The first 3 are now beginning to load up on blossoms and pods. The King is going to be later but the results should be monster beans.

Martin

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Last year I planted the Christmas Lima-- They're a Big Lima, and soo pretty. Unfortunatly, last year, none of my climbing beans did anything. I had 3 kinds of limas and 3 kinds of green beans. I had beautiful vines, lots of blooms--and no beans.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paquebot said:
Can't think of anyone who would be silly enough to try to eat lima bean pods! I could have told anyone that they don't taste good but would never say how I knew!
Well, I did not know that they were lima beans -- just that they were pretty. And now I have the same information about those pods as you, and bought (it appears) the same way. :p

Paquebot said:
All of those small lima bean types are good either as a side dish just of them or in soup bean mixes. Most of my extra small ones end up in a mix. Big ones, like King of the Garden Pole, are a treat by themselves as butterbeans. There are 4 varieties of limas growing here this year; Florida Speckled, Tri-Colored, Pennsylvania Dutch Red, and King of the Garden Pole. The first 3 are now beginning to load up on blossoms and pods. The King is going to be later but the results should be monster beans.

Martin
Depending on how these turn out, I may be allowing more space next year for limas. I do love butterbeans!

But I now know that lima pods are for the compost pile. Ooogy! ;)

Pony!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turtlehead said:
Pony, your vocabulary just cracks me up. I love your posts.

Maybe rabbits would like the oogy bean pods? :shrug:

Hm. I don't know. Better hop on over to the Rabbit Forum and see if they're on the list. But if the rabbits don't like them, I'd bet a piggie would. :) Of course, I can't have a piggie here. :( Ah, someday...

Pony!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts