Christmas or Xmas?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Dec 19, 2006.

Christmas or Xmas

1. I am a Christian and I prefer Christmas.

2. I am a Christian and I don't mind Xmas.

3. I am not a Christian, I prefer Christmas.

4. I am not a Christian, don't mind Xmas.

5. I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Melissa

Melissa member

Which do you use? Are you upset or offended by using the x instead of the full word? Discuss here.

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I thought that the "x" was an abbreviation for the Greek "Christos" (Χριστος )that was spelled with an "x" in Greek.

Lynda

3. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep--nothing disrespectful about it.

4. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Odd that you bring this up. This weekend we put up our tree. Over the summer I had picked up a vintage tree skit made of felt with lots of appliques on it and gold glitter lettering..very 50-60's. I just loved it when I bought it...however, I didn't notice until this weekend when I laid it out under the tree..it said Merry X-mas..well, I liked it so well I put it under there, but all night it kept bugging me..I went over and folded the fabric so I couldn't see the wording, but by the next day, I took it up and put it in the closet and pulled out another one. I will change it by next year. I really hate to see x- mas on anything.

5. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

Just listened to a radio show from 1946 or so and they called it xmas back then, so dont see any need to get in an uproar about it, besides its shorter and easier to type!

6. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I was taught that the X was another way of being PC..like taking Christ out of Christmas. I always write Christmas.

7. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I prefer Christ over using X. Christ died for our sins so we can at least honor and respect him by using his full name for the celebration of his birth.

Kat

8. Kris W.

Kris W. unregistered user

I get very offended to "X-mas" it is marking out Christ's name. Christmas is the way to go! :)

9. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I always spell it out Christmas in a greeting etc, I feel it has more reverence for the Holy Day, but if I put XMAS lights on a box to be stored I hope no one would get mad at me! :angel:

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

So did I.

11. AR Cattails

AR Cattails Well-Known Member Supporter

I definitely believe that "Christ" should be kept in Christmas. I find it very disrespectful to see otherwise.

12. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

I would never use anything but Christmas. After all, we are supposed to be celebrating Christ's birth. However, I don't really feel that a lot of folks even stop to think past all the partying and spending.

13. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Never mattered to me one way or the other except that when I think to start writing Christmas with X I can still hear my grandmother criticizing the use of X; so I always use Christmas.

14. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

Either is fine as the X does represent Christ. We have a Chrismon tree at church and use X as a part of the symbols of Christ.

15. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

"X" is Greek for Christ. His name isn't being "replaced" with anything -- except the accepted form of writing His name in another culture.

I don't get it. It's just another way of writing "Christ".

16. countrydreamn

countrydreamn Well-Known Member

I thought that the "x" was an abbreviation for the Greek "Christos" (Χριστος )that was spelled with an "x" in Greek.

Lynda

I was also told this by friend that studied Greek in college.
    I would then think that there is no reason to be offended you are just saying it in another language.
    I think that I tend to use both.

Blessings,
    Debi

17. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

But we are not greek...we are not in Greece nor do most who use it even know that...so therefore the way it is used now is either disrespectful and/or lazy.

18. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Silly and naive to get offended over Xmas. When I was young, it was much more common to write it out instead of Christmas. I always thought of it simply as an abbreviation. Few people ever said it as I recall. Eventually a revolt against the term started (probably started in the '70's); people said it was a way of "crossing out Christ's name). Or even a flat out rejection of Christ during the holiday season. Nothing could be further to the truth. While I prefer saying "Christmas" as a reminder of "the reason for the season", I am never offended by it.

To those who are offended, learn the facts. And try to be a bit more laid back. You'll live longer. :rolleyes:

19. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

There's plenty of real things to get offended about-the X is another symbol for Christ.

Patty

20. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

I only use "x"mas when i am writing..Its just a lazy way of not typing the whole word..No big conspiracy..just lazyness.Its still christmas to me and anyone else who wishes to see it that way.If somone wants to make a big deal outta it ..I guess they can..But its still just "ease of writing"

Gord