Christmas Money????

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by caroline00, Nov 25, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we've been blessed with a check for a couple thousand $$$ from my inlaws as a Christmas gift.

There is no way that our family can spend that much for the holidays. Is it tacky to spend a couple of hundred $$$ on the children and then put the rest towards debt? That is really what seems to be the best for us at this point.

Thanks for your opinions... nothing was said about how they wanted us to spend it but I know they do want wrapped gifts for the children from them on Christmas. They generally send $300. We in the past we spent $200 on the children and then $100 on a family item.

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Caroline I think your idea is fine, but maybe there is one larger family gift that may be considered in the gift selection...

Angie

3. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

A few years back we were blessed with the same decision. We bought our son one big present (4wheeler from Santa) and a few smaller things, but instead of buying each other "stuff" we put the rest into paying off the debts that would make each month a little easier to get by all year. Worked great, no guilt, just a feeling of taking responsibility. Good luck!

4. Kelle in MT

Kelle in MT Well-Known Member

We didn't exactly have a money gift, but my parents built a home here on our property this past summer and as part of the plans my folks added into their price a new rootcellar( as our old one was in the way of their home project) as well as a 30X40 shop for all of us, but Mike will get the most use out of it, with wood working, hydraulic cylinder repair, working on tractors and equipment. We are so excited to have this all give to us. The cellar is done and is 10x12x6 and is it ever nice, full of shelves and storage boxes ofr the potatoes, squash, carrots, onions, beets, turnips etc..... :happy:

5. Acts2:38girl

Acts2:38girl Well-Known Member

Why not go to Disney World? For us this would be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of trip. I thought about doing that this year, but DD is still to young. Christmas at Disney would be quite a memory!!

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you should do exactly as they wish with the 300 for family presents. Then what's left I would apply to the highest interest debt you have.

I'd let them know that you have used your money wisely.

You might also think about the family gifts and see if they might be "snowball savings". These are things you invest in that save you a lot over the long haul. For instance, canning jars may help you keep your harvest. Purchasing seeds or better yet fruit trees and edible perennials like asparagus can feed you for years. The root cellar mentioned is like that. A sewing machine may help you mend clothes, make gifts or make draperies, etc for many years to come.

Each year at Christmas we try to purchase some things for snowball savings. Each year we get one reference book that helps us homestead (in the past these have been about bees, gardening, chickens, etc..) we always buy used books so they didn't cost all that much anyway. Each year we add a tool. Several years ago it was a food processor to help with the harvest. This year it's a larger crockpot that will help us with the harvest and cook meals when we are working.

7. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless the giver had a specific "present" in mind that the money was to go for - you get to decide how you want to use your gift. I think you sound pretty smart. Lucky you!!!

8. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

However, I have been in a similar situation where the "gift giver" then "questioned" how/where the money was spent......I can't imagine that they wanted all of the money to spent on "gifts", when traditionally, they would not have spent that much......As long as there were "no strings" attached to the money, I would say you are making a wise decision.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Wonderful decision to pay down some debt.

If they ask, be sure you tell them what a blessing their gift was toward your goal of being free from debt. :)

10. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Good for you!! I think it is a wonderful idea.. One Christmas my parents sent a large check to us. We purchased one large gift for each child, a lrg. tv for the family, and divide the rest into equal parts for each child's college fund.. My dad was NOT happy and never sent another check..He had wanted me to spend ALL the money on presents but had not stated so..... :shrug: Queen Bee

11. countryheart

countryheart Well-Known Member

I think that is a great idea. It is a present for your family, and I can't imagine they would mind you paying off some debt with it. What a blessing for your family.

Countryheart

12. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Since it's specifically intended as a gift for the kids (unless I misunderstood) isn't it a bit dishonest to use it for your own bills? True, you could say the good of the family is good for the children too, but it's a stretch. Instead, why not buy some reasonable gifts and deposit the rest of it in the kids' savings accounts or college funds? Or use it to buy savings bonds?

13. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Last year each of the kids got a $100 gift card to Walmart. We used them to buy things the kids needed. A couple of new beds, some clothes, & a few things needed for the house. The kids did not care what they got & the giver never asked. Although I know them & they wouldn't have minded. I say your idea is good. It would seem rather extreme to blow it all on presents for the kids when just a couple of gifts is plenty. Kids get WAY too much stuff now-a-days.

14. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

Why not ask them?

Every year instead of mailing gifts across the country, my mother sends a check, as do my in-laws. When I get it, I call to let them know I got it, and to ask for "spending instructions". Did she have anything specific in mind? Had she seen a toy that she thought one of the kids just *had* to have? etc... That way I get what she intended, and also find out how it was intended.

The first year I spent it all on the kids, and my mother asked me "Didn't you get yourself anything????" Another year the check was 2x the "normal" amount- she wanted us to get major work done on our van.

15. TeachMe

TeachMe Active Member

I second the idea of asking. They may have some specific things in mind for you to spend the money on.

If they do want it all spent on presents, then I would do so even if it seemed like too much because it is their money (unless you want to spend what you think is reasonable and return the rest).

No matter what, make sure to enjoy Christmas and avoid getting stressed out during the Christmas season.

16. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

What a great gift!! I think you should spend some on things you know the kids want and need, put some great surprises in there and then put the rest of the funds wherever you and your husband see fit. I wouldn't ask the inlaws a thing, they would have said if they had specific intentions.

You can give them a 'few examples' of things you got to buy or do for the kids as a result of their being so generously giving! Maybe in the form of a thank-you note or Christmas morning picture.....

~~Have FUN!!

17. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Not tacky at all. Sounds like a wonderful idea.

18. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Whereas, I'm a firm believer that a gift once given is no longer yours to decided what should or should not be done with it. Which would be my advise to givers. :)

I think it would make your inlaws day, if you called and once again thanked them profusely, and ask them if it would be okay if you used it as you mentioned. I know if it would have been me, with a gift from my parents - they would have been thrilled with paying of debts...but only you know your inlaws :) And then I would do exactly whatever would please them - not to go against my "a gift once given" advise, but because I know no amount of money will ever replace being on great terms with family :)

Hugs
    Marlene

19. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I would not be ashamed to tell them what you did...I'd be proud. I can remember buying myself new socks one year and I was very happy. I have a large xmas club check each year that I always try to add to the savings and not spend on xmas! We're saving for a garage.

20. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm a'fixing to third this (or sounds like maybe fourth) thought. Leaves you with not a worry in the world. Oh, this would be after "thanking them profusely" - because, hey - they apparently love you and your family no end.