Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Christmas is over, and I can barely control myself. I try to wait until after the holidays to really get stuck in on the garden planning, but I tend to fail dismally, and start drooling over seed catalogues as early as October.

Who else is ready for spring planting already? :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
LOL! You have no idea how much self control it takes to not order "just a few things" from the catalogs that are coming in...but, I don't wanna go planting if we move into a place of our own or otherwise...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I got my first one in the mail yesterday. You would have thought I had lost my mind! Jumping up and down and giggling at the mail box! I've already spent hours looking at it, working through my garden notebook and trying to keep my total down. Now, if I could just decide where my compost bin is gonna be, I can actually go outside and work in the yard. It's 60 degrees here today!! Hope it's this nice tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
It was 59 degrees this afternoon. I went to check and see if the garlic is coming up yet. It isn't. Later I reread some of my favorite catalogs, Johnny's and Harris. Its never too early to plan the garden.
Linda

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I like the way you think!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I got my catolog from seed savers a couple of weeks before Christmas. I went ahead and put in my order. The seeds came on Chritsmas eve day. One of the best presents I've ever gotten. I guess I kept hearing about getting the order in early, cause people think more people will be buying seed to grow gardens this year, so I thought I'd do just that this year. I've never ordered this early before and it feels rather good to be able to concentrate on other things now.
I had bought seeds that were on sale at the end of the season, so I'm mostly all set. :) I start a lot of my plants myself in the basement so that will be the hard part for me, is waiting til about February when I start some of the earliest ones. Oh, but I do love looking through the catologs. Happy shopping.
jd

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Oh, yeah! I've got Shumway's, Jung's, Territorial, Pinetree Garden, and Baker Creek. That last one is so lust-inducing that it should be sold with a brown paper wrapper. Surely those vegetables are air-brushed and enhanced?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have my onion order ready to go. will send it off the 2nd of Jan...yes,,catalogs are addicting aren't they? I have 2 new plots this spring,,rather large ones,,so lots to plan for and figure out where to plant and how much..fun, fun,,fun..

I'm adding another Farmers Market each week next year,,its going to be interesting.

Judi

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
Oh I am longing for spring and warm weather. I have all these things I want to plant and can't wait to see what survived the winter and what will have to be replaced. I think almost all of my grapevines will have to be replaced. :(

January and February are the hardest months for me to get through. I hate cold and am ready for warm days and moist soil.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Making my seed list tonight! Hoping it won't be too long. The Southern Exposure Seed catalog is the last one of my favorites I am waiting for.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had to smile when I saw this thread. I was just sitting here going through the Baker Creek catalog I just received this morning.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a tip for those of you suffering the worst from the "gotta grow something" blues... sprouts.

I've currently got five quart jars growing on my windowsill for salads -- all at different stages of "sproutiness". The kids are calling me "the sprout lady" :)

It sure does do things for me, though, seeing all those little green shoots! And they're really, really YUMMY. Fresh greens on your plate are wonderful this time of year, and knowing I didn't pay four bucks for a wilted, baseball-sized lettuce shipped in from Mexico, but produced it right here, that is a GOOD feeling!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I'm actually getting my starting trays ready. Plan on actually starting (early)stuff in about 3 weeks. I figure I can have things outside in one of the beds (smaller hoop inside a larger one) by the end of February. I have a small wood stove I can put inside the large hoop to get through cold days/nights. If it gets too cold I can just bring the stuff back inside.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
So far I have only had Baker's Creek. But each day I hope for some others. I already have my list ready for the year and I am working on figuring out how to start all my herbs and veggies. Good to know I am not the only one that spends this time of year lusting after a good garden!
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes ditto on the Baker's Creek catalog, I just got it the other day and it's the only one so far but I'll order 90% from them anyway. It's been a really nice catalog to sit down and peruse with a cup of hot cider!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts