Christmas in the Ozarks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Dec 20, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, I must confess, I don't know squat about the ozarks. I have read a bit, but am certainly no expert.

Tell me about christmas/winter in the ozarks. Do you all get regular snow?

I know the ozarks are "mountains", but is there any significant weather influences because of these mountains?

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

not realy but if you want to see the ozarks this summer our guest cabin will be done come on over and and bbq you can check it out

jim

3. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

The SNL Ozarks Christmas special was pretty funny. I bet it'd be a good time.

4. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

we don't get much snow very often. Maybe 6" a couple times a year. On an odd year we might get 16" all at once and nothing the rest of the time.

Now as for mountains... Hmm... Well I grew up in AZ so to me these are hills.

Really its not a bad area as long as you stay away from the cities (yuck).

Hope you like heat though. Not as hot as TX but still hot enough 3-4 months out of the year.

5. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

The Ozarks are one of the oldest mountain ranges in the US, as such, they are on their "down" hill side of life....which is why they aren't as tall as say the Rockies, or Appalachian mountains...that being said, I live in the ozarks at about 2300 feet, and yes there are measurable differences in up there and down the hill a ways........... I get 5-6 "mini" ice/snow storms to the lower areas 1.... I love winter, it's about my favorite time of the year....Ma nature puts on a nice show, and as such, I take a lot more pics then........... Some of the limestone rocks around here are huge...my place has some of them jutting out from the hills....I would kind of like to incorporate one of them into my house if possible............Most of the bigger towns have neat light displays for christmas....Fayetteville does the Lights of the Ozarks which is really nice...

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Do you mean the Appalachian Emergency Room skit?

Wrong mountain range. :shrug:

7. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

As a "southerner" in Arkansas (1 hr. south of Fayetteville) it is way different down here compared to up there.

They can have ice, we can have snow.... sometimes vice versa on those weird days. Like today, I think they got flurries up there, while got nothing... but a week or so ago.... we got 1-2" snow and they got barely nothing!

It's a lovely place! And I love it here, although I wouldn't live north of I-40 if I had to. :D

8. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

and we refused to look at property SOUTH of I-40 LOL... different strokes, different folks.
    yarrow...just north of the AR/MO border

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

The Christmas we spent in the Ozarks...near Yarrow's house in southern Missouri....we had a lovely snow. We went Christmas tree cutting and got the car stuck on a snowy slope and laughed a lot while pushing ourselves out. :D

I do not, however, recommend sledding on a piece of masonite. No steering capabilities, and when you approach the tree line, it's bail out or smack the tree. I didn't react quickly enough. :eek: Luckily no bones broken.

I don't think they have had another white Christmas since, but they have had a few snowfalls.

If you are land shopping, be sure to consider what the county roads look like as they approach your land. The road into my place there has a couple of very steep slopes. If it ices or snows too much, you can't get in or out.

10. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We live in so. MO and if it's a white Christmas you want head north! We get a few storms each year,some dumping several inches but generally melts away in a day or two. Occasional ice storms which are a whole different matter as you aren't going anywhere on these icy hills. One year we got iced in from Christmas vacation until almost Feb...kids loved it! Neighbors took matters into their own hands and caravaned 15 miles to the state road garage for salt and got our roads passable. We live at the top of a steep hill on a dead end road so only one scary way out! DEE

11. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

we moved to the Missouri Ozarks in 2000, nice rolling hills. very picturesque. not much snow. We have to shovel 2 or 3 times a year. our first year here it dumped snow the day we moved in in november, haven't seen as much snow since.

before that we lived in sw oklahoma, the ouichita mtns. looked like rock piles.
    in the 5 years we lived there the kids were able to build a snowman twice. oh but they could have built hail men by the dozens!

before that we lived 17 years in upstate ny. foothills of the adirondack mtns. Now THERE we got snow. built snow forts to play in and on, went tobagoning, walked up the snow pile to the top of the roof. had to put doohickeys on the top of your car antenna so your car was visible at intersections because the piles of snow from street clearing made visibility around the corners impossible.
    I do miss that area a lot sometimes, for both its aesthetic beauty and regional foods - but I sure do not miss the instant "ice cream headaches" and frozen nostril junk when you walk out the door!

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'd imagine that Christmas in the Ozarks would be something like this:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

14. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

Great links Jak. Great cartoon CF, and Steve- you are right I am wrong- it was Appalachien mountains.
    I live kind of far away, but I do plan to get out that way at some point.

15. mommymushbrain

Cabin Fever, how'd you get that picture of my family reunion? LOL

16. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

I'm from New Orleans, live in SW AR now, but grew up a lot in the Ozarks and my moms still lives there. We had snow every year and could get snowed in real well on occasion. It is simply stunning when you get above the frost line and the sun hits the ice, like a billion prisms. I like it more than the snow but the effect is usually pretty temporary.

The heat is nothing like TX or even where I am. Some don't even run the AC. It gets up there but only during the peak of the day, no 85 degree mornings with 100% humidity. Plenty of swimming holes but the water is very cold year round.

The Ozarks are considered mountains because they are just too big and rough to be hills. Hills are usually considered to be "rolling", think like eastern OKla. Some references refer to the Ozarks as a plateau, which is probably the most geographicly accurate way of thinking of them because the valleys are very high.

They are the most ancient mountain range on Earth with some layers going back to intial formation. They were likely much higher than the Himilayas of today in their earlier years. The erosion accounts for the high valleys. I have an extensive fossil and mineral collection from there covering over a billion years. It is a geologist's dream, that place.

I'd live there now but it is too poverty stricken, and surface water (wells) is frequently not easy to find. Try farming without good soil and no water, and try working for chump change.

If you want a white Christmas, flip a coin. It could just as easily be 60 degrees, which is what it is looking like now. I can say it will get cold, there will be snow, there will be ice, sometime over the next year.

If you get a chance, find a good waterfall in the very cold. It looks like a fairy tale.

--usband o' G

17. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

mommymushbrain, where are you located? I live an hour south east of Fayettenam........ ;) I love the ozarks, and I don't think I'd want to live anywhere else, although the yuppies are trying to take over, and make it more difficult for us "regular" folks to stay here....IE, too expensive land prices, exclusive homes, etc..............

18. mommymushbrain

I'm down here in rural Van Buren/Alma. We are getting the McMansion subdivisions move in around us... and it's just stomach turning.

19. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

The weather here is quite unpredictable and varies year to year. This year they are talking like it will be in the 50s most of the week. But a couple weeks ago we had like 10 days where it hardly got above freezing and lows in the teens. It rarely snows before x-mass but once in a while it happens most of our snow comes in January but it varies considerably. Some years none at all but most winters we will see at least one 6-8 inch one sometime durring the winter. Not unusual to see temps getting below zero for a week or more but I have seen a few winters when it didnt break the zero mark and fall lettuce in the garden survived.
    One other thing I'm speaking of here in our area (West Plains to Branson) and weather varies considerably over the region. In north west AR they get a lot more snow (and rain) than we do here we do tend to be a bit dry.

20. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

This Christmas is supposed to be very special this year as here at least, it is supposed to snow on Christmas eve. It is supposed to get in the 40's on Christmas day so it will melt before any of my family will have to travel on it.
    I think that will be wonderful! I am afraid to drive on it but I do love to play in it and to walk in the woods when it is all over the trees.