Christmas gifts for troops in Iraq, etc

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by BeckyW, Dec 10, 2004.

1. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

One of my son's very good friends is among the troops whose deployment in Iraq was extended until March. Kevin emailed me Thanksgiving weekend to tell me to hold off sending his Christmas package so it will arrive in late January instead. The reason? They are getting inundated with packages from America - gifts from strangers! He said Charlie company had already received 300 before Thanksgiving even arrived! ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL?!!!!!

Well, if you procrastinated, it's WAY too late for anything to arrive before Christmas (normal package time over there is 3-4 weeks.) So here's something you might think about. I got a renewable long distance phone card at Walmart (5 cents/minute) - when you call the number and put in your code numbers, it asks you if you'd like to donate minutes to US troops serving around the world. You simply press #1 and then follow the instructions. $5 is more than 3 hours of talking time. I'm sure the other ATT LD cards are doing the same, whether Sam's Club or whatever.

As a military family, I can tell you that those phone calls are the 2nd greatest gift on earth (the greatest being that military guy or gal safely back home!).
    Merry Christmas to all.
    BW

2. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I think that's great. Although I did mail a package on Monday the 6th and it got there the following Monday (1 week), so imo don't hold off on packages, keep them coming, they'll get there, may be late now, but there is nothing wrong with stretching out Christmas all year round. :) Reese

3. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

My cousins troop isn't receiving much of anything...here is their wish list if anyone cares to send something. matresses (twin sized) Swiffer mop/brooms, dried fruit, nuts, especially cashews and pistachios...bottled water...cards and letters.

SGT Ricci E. Moore
    HHD 1225 CSB
    FOB Endurance
    APO AE 09345

4. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member