Christmas gift ideas?

Discussion in 'Crafting' started by LuLuToo, Nov 17, 2016.

1. LuLuToo

LuLuToo Well-Known Member

The kids (13,13,12) and I are trying to figure out some nice gift ideas for Christmas. In the past, I have made aprons for the ladies and apron/hat sets for all the grandchildren, sleeping bags for the grands, tote bags, homemade vanilla extract, framed/enlarged photos we took, and we have made stepping stones. Our list includes (at the very least) our 4 grown 'kids' and their spouses and 12 grandchildren (one of whom is also grown). Right now, we are trying to figure out some great gift ideas for the different family groups. We will figure out individual gifts later. I'd also like to keep the cost down as much as possible. I've considered zoo/museum passes for each of the 5 families, but would like to make it a bit more personal. For the kids, we will probably buy a pair of pajamas and maybe a toy or book.

Let me hear your ideas!

LuLu

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  2. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I really like the layered bean soup and cookies in a jar.

3. therunbunch

therunbunch MomOf5inTX Supporter

Family board game perhaps? Our family spends a lot of time at home playing board games and we enjoy the time together.

4. minxbay

minxbay Well-Known Member

buy yarn at the thrift store and have them make winter scarves. They can knit or crochet or loom knit and loom crochet. Either way they will learn something new.

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.
  5. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you quilt make game boards, checkers with buttons as checkers.
    Parcheesee with buttons.
    Take a piece of board make game boards.
    Bean bag games like shuttle ball.
    I made Teenage Ninja Turtles bean bag game for eye arm coordination.
    Paint canvas with circles of paint for homemade Twister game.
    Little kids sock monkeys, sock dolls everybody has basket of lone socks.
    So make dolls out of them.

6. greenTgoats

greenTgoats Well-Known Member

Listed below are some of the things we've done. We usually produce large quantities off several different items each year.

Apple butter (family recipe)
    Hot sauce
    Jewelry (check out my sister's etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisticFarmGirl)
    Crochet items (hats, scarves, baby shoes, toys, purses)
    Hot chocolate mix (we used this cool recipe from a real chef cool book that called for white chocolate chips - man that stuff was so good)
    Soup mixes
    Christmas ornaments (felt, crochet, sewed, you name it)
    Soap
    Lip balm

7. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

Im a bit older now but i think it would be the coolest to rummage through my granddad's old stuff (clothes, hats, tools, hunting gear, etc.) Grant it he's passed away 25+yrs ago but its one of the best things when i head up north to our hunting cabin. I'll throw on an old pendleton shirt of his, his leather boots, and his old green felt hat with a feather in it and walk through the woods back to his memorial stone.

Hopefully they understand it's a gift in itself that they get to know and spend time with you.

Lost both my grandads before i could remember them and though i spend time with my grandma weekly, i would trade all the stories and gifts for just a little TIME to spend with them.

Long story short, try to give the gift of memories that will stand the test of time.

8. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

one of the best things i ever received was a photo book full of my grandmother's and aunts recipes , you could also go through family heirlooms and give them as gifts now instead of later

9. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I am surprised to not find any new post about DIY gifts. I am making some sugar scrubs to add to gift bags. Putting in little jelly canning jars. The recipe I found was a 2:1 ratio of sugar to oil plus essential oil or some other additives.

10. OHmama

OHmama Well-Known Member

I looked for a post like this! I think I'm going to crochet scarves. I also just bought a hand embroidery kit so I'm going to see how that turns out. And baked goods..always a hit!

COSunflower and designer like this.
  11. minxbay

minxbay Well-Known Member

make hot cocoa or coffee mixes for the holidays and give them to friends and family members.

12. DaisyDuke

DaisyDuke Active Member

I have been knitting hats and scarves for everyone, making some cookie mix in a mason jar, and now I'm going to try making a batch of soap but I'm not sure it will cure in time.

13. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

Each year I build my daughter a candle holder of some kind. This is this years. The stem was patterned from an artifact that was from a 7th century a dig, in the UK. Along the border of England and Scotland. The base is just a piece of firewood. 20171217_191634.jpeg

COSunflower, Nsoitgoes and designer like this.
  14. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

For family gift packages we like to chose a theme like a movie night basket. When we've done the movie basket,we filled it with movies,popcorn,candy, soda and fleece blankets

15. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

That's such a great gift

16. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

I have a boss who tips one up so I made this bottle opener and hung it in a six pack of bottles. upload_2017-12-25_10-34-5.png metimes so

COSunflower likes this.
  17. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Love it!!!