Christmas Gift Giving?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by landlord, Oct 8, 2004.

1. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

What are your gifts going to be this winter?

I have heard some people give gifts that start with the letters of the recipients name.... ie: GH. gray hat. :haha:

Others can only give gifts that are homemade. potholder, bird feeder, etc. My gift would be a t-bone steak if I can get the critter to the processer by then. The lockers are full. :)

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom always gives her kids (my brother, sister and I) boxes of homemade goodies...canned goods, jams, etc. It's a big hit with us!

I start shopping clearance sales the day after Christmas and give gift boxes of assorted goodies that I think the person will enjoy. For example, my sister collects Snoopy and Peanuts stuff so I always purchase those items I find on clearance.

My husband was telling me that as a kid they used to play croquet. I lucked up on a croquet set on clearance at Target. What a surprise that will be for him! And next summer we will enjoy playing when we have guests.

I love to find unexpected things like that to give as Christmas gifts.

3. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Well, since we will be moving in November, and it will most likely take some time to get settled in. I am going the home made route (well sort of). Probably gift mix jars. I'm leaning towards those because I can whip up mixes that suit the individual who I'm giving it to. i.e. soup mix for those who enjoy soups, bread,cookie, or muffin mix for those who enjoy baking, Hot chocolate, tea or coffee gift baskets for those who like to cuddle up with a warm cup of whatever. Spice rub mixes for those with T-bones ;) :D

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We like giving homemade gifts as well. Homemade bread, flavored butter, jam, cheese, cookies, chocolate covered spoons, updated pics of the kids, flavored coffee with an inexpensive mug in a basket, etc. I think this year I'm going to look into making some sugar scrubs. Dh's grandmother always gets a donation from the family, we all pitch in whatever we can and put it in a card. We all try to give things they really need, weather its clothes or food or gift cards so they can buy it themselves. But sometimes the kids just really really need a new baby doll or dumptruck so we try to oblige as well. :)

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I give my family and extended friends dressed meats: hens, rabbit, pork, turkey. I'm not one for shopping at all. My children receive money but last year we got my son a motorcross bike whch was a huge hit for a (then)15 yr. old and my daughter a new computer. We won't have that amount of cash this year though.

6. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

New to this board.

I think we will be making homemade, consumable gifts this year. After my mil's death last month, I have spent countless hours (with no end in sight) of sorting through her things. I'm finding many unused, even unopened gifts.

I'm asking my family to donate to my favorite charity instead of giving me a gift
    (unless of course it is chocolate ).:)