Christmas Fiasco

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ninn, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

I cannot even believe the way this day has gone. After 2 days of rearranging and cleaning out to make room for the tree. All the stockings are hung on the walls. (it looks like christmas in here, folks). I began to assemble the tree today. SOMEWHERE between the old apartment and the new trailer, we lost the pole that goes in the middle of the tree!!!!! Now I have the treetop, the branches, the base and the spreader ring but no pole with slots for branches. GRRRRR!!! I would go out and cut a real tree, but we can't have them in the trailer park as the clearances between the trailers are so small and they can be such a fire hazard. And the 4 foot tree I USED to have as backup? I gave it away last year to a young couple just starting out. I am seriously considering reviving the old refrigerator box christmas tree from my childhood. I just found pix of it on old slides and it was beautiful!!!! So anyway, the whole tree idea is currently tabled until I decide what to do next. The option of just purchasing a new try is not an option, so please dont suggest it. I have been drooling over those prelit trees for years. DH says inventing new curse words while he strings lights is a tradition not to be scoffed at and that I should be used to it by now!!....lol. I DID see a neat idea for a tree this week tho. A friend had wrapped a tomato cage with lights and garland, then inverted it and covered it with silvery gauze. Topped with an angle and all lit up, it is beautiful. And a very clever idea, as well. She usually puts them in her yard, but her dh likes it in the window indoors as well. Maybe I will try that-my neighbor has a whole bunch of salvaged tomato cages in his yard. I will trade him for some cookies!!!

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Can't you just cut a pole about the right size and drill holes in it for the fake branches?

3. Ninn

I wish!! It's a metal pole with 2 circles around the top with holes in it for the branches to hang from. The circle we still have goes around the pole and is used to spread the branches as far out as we want them. Oh well. If we have no tree, we have no tree. It's still christmas because we are all together. I can always string ornaments around the room and on the curtains. It's the gathering together that counts, not the accoutrements.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Could you use the tomato cages to attach the limbs to?

I always use a tomato cage to make a tree outdoors. I just wrap lots of lights around it, put a star on top and it looks really pretty at night.

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Try looking at Goodwill, Salvation Army, Homeworks etc. They often have artificial trees very cheaply at this time of year. Try asking on Freecycle as well. When we moved out of our big old house we found 3 old artificial trees in the shed, attic and cellar. No idea where they came from but there they were.
    We put them out on the street and they disappeared overnight. :)

6. Jeff-n-Deb

Jeff-n-Deb Member

Attatch it to the wall!

Take the top,flatten it out onthe back side so that it will lay flat against the wal. Tack it up with thumb tacks or something similar. Next, get some very heavy cardboard or maybe some peg board,and cut out circles in graduating sizes matchintg the "layers" of braches you have. Fold them in half and attatch them to the wall spacing them accordingly down to the level of the last row of braches. The other half should lay out toward your room,tack a support of some kind to hold the flap up, punch or drill holes in the flap, put the branches in the holes, you will only need half of the branches, Viola! You have a tree that needs just half of the room a whole tree would need.

7. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

could you hook the branches together with wire and make a big wreath and hook it on the wall and decorate the wreath?

8. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

You could go out and cut a real tree. :D

(Says the girl with the chainsaw on the deck outside, just waiting for tree cutting day!)

9. Ninn

Nope. Can't have them in the trailer park due to narrow clearances between homes. Fire hazard, don't ya know.

However, I took the advice of another group member and posted on freecycle. Got a hit inside of 10 mins. Pickin up a new to me tree today from a wonderful family that just bought one of these 9 foot prelit things. Things are lookin up!

10. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

One year, I strung lights on the brass coat-tree.
    This year, the rosemary bush sports tinsel.

11. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I agree with Bare; cut a pole to fit the rest of the parts and just drill holes for the branches to fit in.

Don't bother thinking the prelit trees are great - we bought one 3 yrs ago. Several of the branches have no lights working (the very next year) and trying to find what the problem is just doesn't seem to work unless you want another full time job. So we had to resort to stringing lights on the tree after all.

12. Ninn

Shep-can't cut pole to stick branches in. not those kind of branches. however, situation has been resolved, babies are all happy and i can now plan the murder of my plumber in peace. .........lol