Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always decorate after November 27 but I take them down after Epiphany but my neighbors take them down after New Year, what you guys do ?

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I've posted about this elsewhere on here, but I leave all my outside decorations up year round. I'm too dern old to keep changing everything, so I don't. Slap on a red bow and it's Christmas. Change that to an orange bow and it's Fall/Thanksgiving.

Inside, the Christmas tree stays up and lit. Makes a great nightlight, the grandkids love it, and we're happy to not have to unassemble it and haul it up to the attic.

I'm an aging step saver. :p

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I still haven't decorated. Hope to do so next week. But then, my kids don't show up for Christmas until New Year's Day (they both live in different states on opposite sides of me). So I usually don't take my decorations down until the middle of January or so.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I still haven't decorated. Hope to do so next week. But then, my kids don't show up for Christmas until New Year's Day (they both live in different states on opposite sides of me). So I usually don't take my decorations down until the middle of January or so.
Someone is going to have a lot of work!

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
I usually start the decorating by the first week of January, except for the live tree...
Because of our Ukrainian culture we follow the julian calender and keep up the tradition of Christmas on Jan 7 and New years on the 14th. So we celebrate on the 25 with the gifts and celebrate the religious christmas on the 6 - Christmas eve with the traditional supper. Then the big new years "malanka" celebration, dance, eat and drink ,then the next day or so you go to a friends or neighbours house and throw wheat to bless them with a prosperous year, and then on the 18th again we celebrate "little Christmas" (epiphany) with a priest coming to bless the houses with the holy water usually the next day. So our decorations are up and we're still in the celebration mode until around the 19 of January. Of course the Ukrainians have all sorts of religious holidays that if we were to follow them all we'd hardly be working...lol, but we do have fun with keeping up the traditions that we want. BTW we also celebrate Easter at a different time usually because of the calendar, so that means 2 family meals again- it's great to be Ukrainian!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Since we have a fake tree, I put it up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down on Jan 6.

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
I havent put a tree up. probably wont,, this will be the first yr in 30. None of the kids come here, with grandchildren we always travel to see them, and my ds that will be here is 29 going on 15 on a good day and 5 usually, he doesnt care one way or the other. S-ds will be here for Christmas morning then off with his mother for next 2 days, so he doesnt care he gets at least 4 Christmas's so a tree here wont be missed. I have a really cute ribbon and paper decoration my grand daughter made me so we put that up last night, she was upset to think I wasnt having any decorations so she wrote out the letters to PEACE and on the back of each letter wrote what it meant to her, and strung it on a red ribbon,, that may stay up all yr. She's my girl. My only other decoration is my ornaments that have come from my family on here and my Christmas card holder with your cards on it. That my oldest grandson made 5 yrs ago when he lived with me, we took a large coffee can and covered it with pretty paper and then he wrapped yarn from top to bottom(they have both been cut out) and thru each piece of yarn holds a card.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I loved your tradition, I put everything up on Dec 27, and I take everything down on January 7, We have a big meal on Dec 24, and an Open House on January 6, with a buffet meal and a wine tasting. Believe me everybody shows up. We do pray for the family in New Year. And we bless the house on New Year too.

Also I reduce the decorations sizes, our tree is one third of the size, and I just take it with decorations and everything and I put it in the storage, the same with the Nativity Set, I just cover it with a plastic and I put it in the storage. Next year everybody comes out again. I am timing myself bringing the decorations up, and I did a record this year 45 minutes!!! this include, lights in the outside windows, and decorations in the second floor windows and tree and decors in the back yard.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Last weekend we put out the outdoor lights and decorations. This weekend the tree gets put up inside. The inside tree usually gets put away the next morning after Christams. Sometimes I get impatient and put it away Christmas night. The outdoor lights stay up till New Years Eve, take them down on New Years day!

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Our decorations go up the Saturday after Thanksgiving (we have the big Thanksgiving family thing at our house, so I insist on Friday off). They come down New Year's Day.

Blue

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
all is up the weekend after Thanksgiving. as to taking it all down...depends on my mood. I take down the bay window decorations/lights after New Year's, but I poke around on everything else indoors that only we enjoy. the big tree will most likely get taken down after New Year's, but I leave lights on the mantle...and bedroom loft ledge all winter to ease the dreariness of winter. it's just darn nice mood lighting when we're parked in front of the fire. and....romantic! :) we get no company all winter, so I say if it pleases us...then no worries about the 'decoration police' charging in.

I have a tiny tree with white lights that stays out all year long. we just love the look!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts