Christmas decorations too early

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by blufford, Nov 21, 2006.

1. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Do we ruin it for kids when we put the decorations up too early or maybe even leave them up all year.

2. Melissa

Melissa member

I have read stories where the tree was put up by Mom and Dad on Christmas Eve and when the children woke up on Christmas morning it was such a big surprise. Don't you think that would be fun?!?!

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I think waiting for things is half the fun! Today we will put up some for Thanksgiving dinner. I will leave them up for a week or so. Then we can get ready for Christmas but not until we have Thanksgiving & enjoy that. They don't even like the spill over.

4. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I always wait until Thanksgiving is over before I being decorating for Christmas. Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday in it's own right, and autumn is one of my favorite times of year. I use some things to decorate for that time of year too, and they stay out until after Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving this year, we are hosting it! My parents, and two of my siblings and their spouses will be sharing that day with us. (I think the guys have forgotten that we don't own a TV so there will be no football watching here.. LOL!) There will be no children, they have all grown up and have other plans for this holiday.

However, I and my family truly enjoy the festive decorating and music during the approach to Christmas. It lifts our spirits and looks pretty! I guess in some ways I've never lost that feeling of "almost magic" that Christmas brings. I do know that all my children and I agree that waiting until Christmas to open gifts is part of the fun - the anticipation over watching people open the gifts you have given, and sometimes still, that sense of bated breath as you slowly unwrap something given to you. Mostly it's the former though, the scanning of their face to see if they are pleased, the surprise they exhibit, and so on.

5. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

I hate that stores begin putting out Christmas stuff before Halloween!!! Can't we just enjoy one holiday at a time?!?!?

I refuse to put my decorations out until December - whether it's the 1st or 24th, it just has to be December.