Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Call decorations? You sound like my mama.

She decorated for soooo many holidays every year. I think that might be why I ended up being kind of a minimalist for holiday decorating.

The flip side is she never, ever rearranged furniture. I, on the other hand, regularly fiddle with moving furniture. It seems my mind reorganizes or house automatically when I move things around for cleaning, lol.

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
put out a few more things today. need to do a bit more with the birch logs when I get a chance to cut some holly. all I did with my door wreath is change the bow. I plan to use that plaid ribbon all around the door and use a couple bows on each top corner . probably next week. I'm cleaning carpets today and otherwise cleaning up because I made such a mess while I was decorating.~Georgia

Attachments

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I don't usually decorate much until mid December. But we do put our old Farmall tractor out front and string lights on it. We try to get that out the weekend after Thanksgiving, but this weekend we are busy, so I'm not sure when we will get to it. But we have to put it out because everyone asks what's wrong if we don't!

I can't start playing Christmas music yet or I will be tired of it by Christmas day!

You all are so talented with your decorating...I'm jealous!

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'd like to see a pic. of that. wish I had a tractor to put out. I do have lights wrapped around my wagon wheel on the front of the house though. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
put out a few more decorations today. it is freezing out there. it's 6C so it must be the wind. I like that red ribbon for a change instead of the pine I always have. it doesn't show up in the pic. as good as it looks.I made my snowman years ago from a piece of shelf board. this year I changed his scarf. I see I have to take down the sticks I had for my clematis. ~Georgia

Attachments

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I'm having some serious jealousy going on here. We don't have a porch and I've always wanted one like we had when I was growing up. They were so much fun to decorate and really got everyone into the Christmas spirit.

Now my house has a completely bland, blah, boring front and no where except the tractor on the grass to decorate. Not to mention the cars and trucks going by at 50 MPH would spell disaster to any decorations I did try to put out there!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The closest thing here to Christmas decorating is putting received cards on the mantel. Tomorrow we're sorting the remaining decorations so he can have any he wants. I've already chosen what I want. I'll take the rest to our local thrift store. Sounds sad, but I do believe we'll both be happier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have already gotten a few things this year. I am trying to make life simple and at the same time not raise my electric bills so this year instead of my lit outside decorations I am using all none electric items. I found some great 4Ft candy canes at Walmart. They were only $3 each. So I got 4. Last year I got some plastic ornaments to put outside and will use garland that I decorate on the porch. I am really looking forward to Christmas this year. I have a lot of kids in my area so I like to decorate early. I start first of November.

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
looks like i start in nov. also. not until after veterans day though. nov 11th. not sure what i'll do this year.

i pulled in all my autumn decorations last week. sick and tired of putting them in and out because of rain. still got the ones inside but i plan to put all that away this weekend.

tonight i'm cleaning the family room downstairs. gave my son the big tv today. in that little nook i'm planning a tea table and a couple victorian chairs(got the chairs) some job trying to find a small round tea table.

i'm sure i'll be decorating that spot for christmas. i took a pic of the before while the tv was there. i'll get a pic of the after later on and post them both together.

it's a lovely cozy little room with the electric fireplace, antique tea table that i'm using for a side table by a chair etc. but it isn't used and it needs to be. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
i found the small table at HD. online. 36in diam. with leaves. that was all i wanted. i looked everywhere for just the table because as i mentioned before i have the chairs i plan to use. but just a table was almost same price as the whole thing.i can give the chairs away.

it was only around 450 and i have to assemble it so probably not the best although i'll have it covered with a Victorian cloth at all times anyway. i'm having it delivered to the store which is just around the corner.

i even have the centerpiece ready (christmas one of course) although at first i thought perhaps an antique teapot with some poinsettas.can't really do anything yet until my son picks up the TV stand. because i can't move it. he already took the TV and is waiting until hunting season is over.

i'm looking out now for some kind of a hanging for that corner because it doesn't have a window. maybe a fancy mirror will do. i dont have any decorations up yet. likely wait this year for dec. 1st. ~Georgia

·
plains of Colorado
4,142 Posts
I am planning and searching. We have a new kitten (LOVE him) so decorating will be different. I got out a small tree for our local museum this weekend to test the timer and Dusty the kitty has been carefully removing the ribbons on the tree! Not sure how he will do with a live tree. Going for non-breakable ornaments.

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
just started off with a couple things. our doctor is suggesting we start xmas decorations early . i put the wreath out on the chimney and put a few things on this buffet. last year i had red candles. this time i put out white. think i'll change back. this is where i throw my jewellry when i take it off when coming in from shopping. have to remove that later. i still left the elegant burgundy pumpkin so far. i'll hang some mistletoe on the mirror later. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
trying different combinations of tablecloths, runners and arrangements for my dining room table. this just doesn't look right to me. i could try another cloth or just the runner alone. we'll see. disregard those 2 plants i'll move them later. i'm trying to grow a couple lychee nut plants. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
just put wreaths on 3 doors. i see other people are putting up theirs also. neighbor is putting up a snowman. they all put lighted figures outside. i don't anymore . usually have to wade through snow to bring them in.took all my stuff to vv a couple years ago. it's just what i can reach from the front and back steps mostly. most of my lighting is inside.

people do go in big on this street. my neighbor paul puts up a tree by the corner of his house that is taller than the house. it's facing my pic. window and it's lovely when decorated. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
dressed up the fireplace mantle a little bit. those lights are always there so it was just to add a couple candles and put a few xmas picks in the birch logs which i always keep there also. oh i dont think i got that part in.

it's going to be real easy to put it all away again in january. i'm leaving one lg tupperware tub untouched which contains some of the big stuff like 2 decorated trees. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
i didn't really like what i had on the dining table so i changed the cloth to a white lace and used another arrangement with candles. i don't know. plaid just doesn't do it for me although it's very popular this year.

red plaid is everywhere in the stores(i do have a lovely long plaid wool scarf that i love that matches my burgundy coat ). and i have a pair of plaid jammies. no matter i got lots of other things i can use. maybe i'll just go back to the old tried and true. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
5,658 Posts
can't beat the classic white tablecloth. You can always add color with other things, which you have in abundance.

Reactions: newfieannie

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I gather I march to a different drummer - but I hate to see Christmas decorations up before Thanksgiving. It seems people decorate for Halloween, then woosh - Christmas decor is up.

We have so much to be thankful for here in the US, no matter how divided we are, yet this holiday seems to get bypassed.

My thanksgiving decor outside this year includes a sign that says "give thanks".

21 - 40 of 42 Posts