Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or whatever you celebrate this time of the year. I don't think most of you put anything out until after Thanksgiving. I don't usually start until dec. 1st. but I'm just getting a few things ready for when the time comes. picked up a few things from the yard and stuck it in a vase. might put something red in the top later. got a few birch cut to use on the deck and front step. trying not to buy anything new this year for decorations.just using what I have on hand. anyone else started yet? ~Georgia

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not yet, but I love your start! We probably won't buy anything new either unless hubby wants one of those outdoor blow up thingies. Last year we used branches from our pine trees for wreaths and oir fake tree and garlands to decorate. One of these years I'd like to make a garland from pine tree branches.

Usually we decorate after Thanksgiving, but I'm thinking there's a good possibility that we might do it this weekend seeing as how busy the next few weeks are going to be. Plus it will add to the festiveness at out thanksgiving celebration.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had anything that blows up but my neighbor has it for all of the celebrations. he had a pumpkin almost as tall as the house.

my son told me today about a light you can get to shine on the house and it looks like the whole house is lit up with revolving lights. if I get anything it might be that. he said it was around for a few years .course I'm always behind everyone else. this will be my first year with a few lights outside since I bought this house. ~Georgia

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I just finished my Christmas shopping last night!

We don't decorate a ton for holidays.

We'll do Christmas cards thanksgiving weekend and put the tree up then or shortly after, cause we do stockings Dec 6 for st Nicholas day.

My lights are few and up all year. Gotta get my timer out and put up though so they'll go on and off soon.

Got most of my gift shopping done for next year's bdays, and most of next year's food out up. I guess that's sort of my gift to myself, so I can relax during the holidays and feel I've gotten the family set up for less stress with time and money going into the holidays and next year.

I have some dwcorations, but mostly just a few things that are sentimental. I love playing holiday music a lot this time of year, so that'll be on quite a bit.

Mostly, I just want to relieve grown up and kid stresses this time if year for the holidays and the new year. So, lots of getting stuff bought ahead, and trying to declutter and keep the house extra clean. It's kinda depressing to be stuck inside a lot in winter and be staring at or stepping around messiness.

Last things to do for now are get some little Xmas things at the dollar tree for the kids to give their friends at our Homeschool Coop, and to get some house supplies finished being bought and put up like deodorant and such for next year.

I hope everyone is having a joyful time doing what brings them peace going into the next weeks!

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when we were growing up there wasn't a sign of anything. we went to bed on Christmas eve and when we awoke in the morning the whole house was decorated. dad would call us down and the French doors to the parlor(we still called it a parlor at that time) were open and there was the tree in all it's splendor. stockings were all filled etc. everything was in place down to the nuts and grapes and whatnot on the coffee table. so magical!

don't know how they did it without us knowing it. we had one or 2 small gifts at that time and our stocking but the remainder were tied on the tree. on Jan. 6th we would have a party and then Dad would take them down and call out the name. ~Georgia

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
We leave ours up til epiphany too. We celebrate small little things on several days from Dec 6 - Jan 6.

I hope when my kids are grown we can have everyone with us for Xmas. But, we do things on different days because I want them to feel there are several special times, so if it's a struggle later to coordinate they have happy options.

I also like it cause it makes it feel more like an even keel season for us.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tweaked the first one with a bit of red. I like it! started decorating my milk can. this one is usually decorated all year round. the birch and pine came from my country place. the red balls look like balls of twine and I have had them forever. got to cut off the dowels later so they wont show. plan to have some lights in a jar laid by the balls and some more pine to make it fuller. also some of that red stuff I used above. feel free to show us anything you have started. ~Georgia

Attachments

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I put up outside lights, a JOY nativity, and star on December 6th, St. Nicholas Day but don't decorated inside until a week before Christmas. I take everything down on Epiphany (January 6th). This year since I'm in an apartment, I'm not sure what I'll put up outside but for sure my "JOY" yard art on the patio. Inside I'll have to hang a couple of banners as this apartment is small and the cat will take down anything I put up that is not attached.

Reactions: Mickey

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
don't forget to post a pic. of your yard art when you get it out BB! I've been working at a few more small things today. bought myself a couple small lamps yesterday. I wanted one for the kitchen and my hall table downstairs where I display some of my antiques. I liked them because I thought they looked vintage but I can't stand the grey shades and too much on my plate to cover them with fabric right now. put a doily over one for now and added a small velvet rose. it looks like it was plum colored in the light but it is grey. I don't think I had the light on the after pic.

added a red ball made from green and red felt and a few dabs of gold paint to my kitchen plant to make it more christmasy.put some picks in a jar on my buffet. hung a couple Christmas towels that I bought at winners 5 years ago and never used. I might tweak my milk can a bit more but it really looks good with the added lights. have a good weekend everyone! I have a respite guy coming tomorrow and I've got to take advantage of that and shop until I drop trying to get most of my preps in for the winter. ~Georgia

Attachments

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh I love those! I was thinking of that when I was in WM this morning but they didn't have anything. maybe winners has something . love that porch! ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tore apart an old wreath this morning. have had it for ages and everything was faded. added a few things and stuck it on the back door. as if I needed another wreath. I was going to make my large red balls from stuffing and felt but I was in Dollarama yesterday and they had Styrofoam balls for a fraction of the price of Michaels so I just covered them with felt and dabbed on some gold paint. waiting for them to dry now. they are going outside with the pine and the birch. I got small ones out there now but these will stand out more.~Georgia

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Can I stick some pics of my fall decorations on this thread? I finally got my camera fixed and took some pics today. The Christmas stuff will come out the day after Thanksgiving :)
The last one is kind of dark, but you can see the little kitchen tree in the window. I brought it down to make sure the lights still work. I'm going to decorate it so I can light it Thanksgiving night.
1st pic is the parlor fireplace mantle
2nd pic is the top of my kitchen Hoosier cupboard
3rd pic is the kitchen table
4th pic is of the little kitchen tree

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts