Christmas card "basket"

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Rita, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year (I think) I asked If anyone knew how to make a "basket" from Christmas cards. I made them years ago and they were so pretty. They actually were more of a bowl, with 8 sides and the pieces were put together with red or green yarn. The bottom was 8 sided. I guess if I tried hard enough I could figure it out. I kept my current Christmas cards in it. Since there are so many new folks on here now I mind hit the jackpot this year.! Rita

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I made several of them about 40 years ago.

When my Granma died, I got one of them back.

Leave it to a Granma to save something like that for so many years!

If I can find it, I will try to post the dimensions.

I remember the octagon bottom and the other 8 pieces were all kind of harp shaped. You actually need to have 18 cards for each basket because everything was 2 cards thick.

That way --- whether you were looking at the outside of the bowl, or the inside of the bowl -- you were always seeing a pretty picture.

Lately I've been seeing "fabric bowls" and I suspect you could use one of those patterns to create a "card" bowl.

We, also use to make 3 sided - round - tree ornaments from Christmas cards using the same type stitch (using yarn) to fasten them together as was used for the baskets.

3. tallpines

4. Rita

Oh Tallpines, I'm so excited. I do hope you can find one and post the dimensions. It was about 40 years ago when I made them. When you move a lot you tend to throw things out or they get lost. The one pictured on ebay looks like it doesn't have the double cards with the patterns inside as well as outside. We did them double as you mentioned. Thanks! Rita

5. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

And you thought that math lesson about octagons would never be needed in your life time :) Seems like if you cut a card into an equal sided octagon, then took eight equal sized cards and cut the bottom to the exact same size as each side of the octagon, and made the tops slightly bigger and of equal size. Then punched holes along all but the top edges you could lace everything together to form a bowl shape. I'll give that a try and get back to you :) If you want pretty cards on inside and out of bowl you'll need eight additional cards. just match 'em back to back.

Marlene

6. Rita

Marlene, I have tried to draw up an octogon but it ended up lopsided and it seems you would almost have to make and put together the sides to get the right angle to allow for the "spread". I guess I'm just too old to try to figure this out from scratch. Rita

7. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

8. Rita

Thanks Crafty Diva, but the basket I was looking for had eight sides and was more graceful/elegant. If I can't succeed in the octagonal one I guess I will make the one you found. Rita

9. tallpines

I FOUND IT! And--Guess what!

It is full of cards already cut out and just waiting to be woven together!

OK----the bottom is an octagon.
    Here's how you make the pattern for the bottom.

Fold a piece of paper in half.
    Fold it in half again.

And---fold it in half again.

You should have a "V" shaped wedge of paper that is 8 layers thick.

From the center point---measure 2 3/4 inches along one of the sides....marking the spot.

Now, measure 2 and 3/4 inches along the other edge, and mark the spot.

Draw a straight line between those 2 marks.............Now---cut along that line through all 8 thicknesses of paper.

Open it up----You should have a PERFECT octagon.

Trace it onto 2 cards to create your bottom pieces.

Now the 16 pieces that make up the sides of the bowl are sort of shaped like a hurricane lamp shade.

Kind of shaped like this---
    http://www.architecturals.net/resto...tegoryID=40&SubcategoryID=87&Start=1&subcat=y

But----shorter........imagine that lamp chimney---minus one inch at the bottom----and minus that flaired part at the top.

The bottom of my pattern piece measures 2 inches----the same as one side of your octagon pattern piece,

The total height of the side piece is 6 3/4 inches.
    From the bottom of the piece----like the hurricane lamp, it flairs out a little ----from the 2 inch width at the bottom----it widens out to 3 and 7/8 inches at about half the way to the top.

Then it curves inward a little---ending with a width of 3 1/4 inches at the top.

Round off the corners-----You can do this by using a large dinner plate laid at the top end.........Trace the plate to give the piece a rounded top.

When you have your 8 bowl sides (double thickness) stitched together-------they will form a bowl that curves inward a little at the top----with a scallopped edge.

Rita---if tou want----P.M. me your address and I'll mail you one of my patterns :)

10. celina

celina Well-Known Member

someone needs to post a picture...this sounds great

11. Rita

Thanks Tallpines, I pm'd you before I saw your posting. I probably need both sets of instructions so send them please. I will be happy to reimburse the postage.

Celina, you can get an idea of what they look like from the posted links, but as I said before the eight-sided one is more graceful. You could try following Tallpines instructions after you have a look at the one in the link. Rita

12. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

wouldn't it be great to make one from the HT Christmas card swap cards we get! I am going to do it, there is always time to do these things in February! Maybe someone could post a pattern?

13. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you Tallpines,for the instructions.I may have to get a pattern from you also,if I just cant get it to work out for me Ok?I printed off the instructions on the link Crafty Diva gave us.So glad this craft is being revived by us,the bowls are so pretty and bring back memories.

14. tallpines

IF ~~~~~ You PROMISE to actually MAKE a Card Basket~~~~~ :)
    I'm willing to send you a pattern.

PM me with your address.

Rita---yours will go out in Friday's mail.

I can provide the pattern but you'll need to figure out the rest by checking out the links with photos and instructions.

Anyone who is a wee bit crafty should be able to "get it" done.

15. Rita

Gosh I must be dumb. I tried making the octagon from the folded paper and I end up with a piece of paper with 8 points! Guess I'll wait for the directions. Rita

16. tallpines

Well---for SURE-----the patterns will (finally) get in the mail in the morning!

Sorry about the delay! :shrug:

:) Enjoy!

No need to reimburse for postage-----just "pass it forward"---or toss some extra change into a Salvation Army bucket during the holidays.