Christian homestead community/coops etc.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hunter63, Apr 11, 2006.

1. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Seem to be be a lot of discussion on this subject lately, but all of them seem to start impossing limits before any get aff the ground.
    Why would anyone want to do something like this?
    I realize there are leaders and followers, but I have to say that when I make my move, (the"Place" is already there), I want to be as far away from this type of limits and rules. I want to get away from it all, not take it with me.
    What am I missing?

2. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

I hope you are talking about the kind of limmits that are unnesacary like NAIS. If you are talking about things like boundries then why is that an issue? If you are talking about christians and non christians liveing togeather. Well that is simple. A community is the second most intimate relationship outside of God. The first being family. This is in every since an extended family. You work togeather, eat togeather, solve problems togeather BUT most important you stand togeather. If one is not a christian than how can they stand for God?
    I tend to think that it will all work its self out by the time it actualy materializes. Those that have problems with what is happening will not want to put their money in. They will go do something else.

3. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I hope this helps...Let me know if I can help to translate anything else...

4. Firethorn

It is clear who is the one who is intolarable. I keep to myself and NEVER get in anyones face! If you choose to diagree with my views then I am happy to leave it as a agree to disagree.
    NAIS is NOT law. and it is not constitutional. If you want to get nasty about that again you can go back to the NAIS boards. You have absolutly no idea what kind of person I am, what my family has been through in our commitment to fallow the law. Or how we have been prosecuted by peolple who claim to be christian. The attatude you show twards me in your post is hurtfull and unnesacary.
    Furthermore, "THe American Dream" as it was is dead. Due to the persuit of hand outs and backstabbing and corprate one upping. For some of us a community is a chance to get at least partialy away from alot of that.

5. Boleyz

I am a Born-Again, Conservative Christian. I think you people are doing a great dis-service to the testimony of Christ by using these wide-open, publically-viewed threads to sort out who's in and who's out.

Can you imagine how hostile and idiotic you sound to non-believers? Do you even care that you are continually "Spanking" them? You're only confirming what they already think, "Christians are narrow-minded, self-serving idiots".

I think the whole concept of a Christian or a pagan "Community" is doomed to failure. Human nature is always and continually selfish, and nobody is going to like it if someone else gets a better piece of the commune.

By the way, call it what you want, but you guys talking about, "living together, working together, eating together and standing for God together" is a dictionary perfect example of a commune, not a community.

Sorry if my post was "hurtful", but as you've posted around the site, decreeing who can join and who can't, I imagine you've also "hurt" a few people. They just shrugged it off to idiocy and went on.

My "Translation" post was meant to be humorous.

By the Way, the American Dream is NOT dead...I'm living it now. Home and farm here on 5 acres, unrestricted, and a 15 acre hunting retreat with a log cabin in another part of the state. So don't tell me it can't be done...it just takes some hard work and common sense.

On one other point...NAIS IS the Law..Already signed off on by the President and funded to the tune of 33.3 million. It will be a federal program administered by the USDA. State Will implement it eventually or lose Federal funding and maybe federal approval of their ag products. I just thought you might want to know a few Facts...

Best of luck to ye...

6. hunter63

The orginal question, more had to with "Why" do you need to be in a group.
    The question doesn't have anything thing to do with religion, race, the goverment etc.
    So now that you all have "translated" everything, lets get back to the question.
    Why would you want to do "homesteading" as a group????????

Sounds like some one wants to run stuff, to me?

7. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

Just guessing.......but I think it is to cut down on labor and costs. Instead of everyone buying a tractor and log splitter and a baler, one buys a tractor and one buys a log splitter and...........then you have the experienced one teaching the newbie, etc.

We (DH and I) have talked about it before, but more of a "living near like minded people we can trust for when the MHTF" situations, where everyone bought their own land and did their own thing, but in emergencies would work together. I don't think being in each others business all the time would work very well, but when the chips are down - it will be needed.

just our 2¢

8. dragonflyz9C

dragonflyz9C Well-Known Member

The thing about reading a post verses hearing a persons tone of voice is that it is often difficult to know the emotion behind the words.

After reading this though, I don't think it came across as funny.

9. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Where better to sort out the rules?, them at this site. Might as well know what you are in for before you commit cash. I'd rather know now, then when I've put my money in land with a group I don't belong with.

10. Firethorn

Sorry, I must have misunderstood hunter. I did not mean to derail your post.
    But nogreater pretty much answered it. To be able to count on others experiance and for streingth when things get wooly. That is best done with people to whom you share views.

11. hunter63

Well it sounds to me that there are alot of "issues" that alot of people need to deal with.
    Count me out.

12. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Frankly, I was intrigued to read last night that I'm not a Christian..first that I'd been aware of that..(memo to self..be aware that other Christians do not consider you to be one)..I must say that it was "interesting" at best to read such a carte blanch opinion .

To me, it is statements such as that one which most definetly keep me from being inclined towards any sort of "common interest" living arrangement. I've been so naive..thinking that it was the love of homesteading which brought people together..silly me.

13. hunter63

boston ,I hear ya, personally I have worked real hard to assimilate into my new community, you know the "locals"? this will be my "community" in the furure.

Buy the land, I would guess that you can't afford it your self, so why not get a bunch of "like minded folks", to foot part of the bill.
    Course it's your idea, so it's your rules. Same baggage you wanted to get away from.

Good luck, but around here they call these people "city hippies".

Shame on you, boston, not being a "Christian" and all, but I like you. Say maybe be we could buy some land together, so like,here the deal...........

14. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Thanks Hunter..tha's mighty nice of you (whatever your faith is)..but I think it's a lot safe (and saner) just to stay right here by myself..oh yes.

15. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

That is part of why I like the idea, Though I would not mind having sunday potlucks with any of my neighbors. As far as doing your own thing like Kathleen said I would have a problem with a factory farm next door or someone selling out to subdividers with out giving the other community people a chance to buy first.

16. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Whats wrong Hunter you dont have any issues yourself? Anyone that is not willing to take the time to help sort out issues/share their feelings and lay the groundwork for any planned community is welcome to leave as far as I am concerned. I dont want to have quiters or people that can't work with others as neighbors.

17. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

18. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

19. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

For me it is just practical. There are very few "neighborhoods" (at least around here) where people are neighborly. The economics of it makes sense, for one thing. The land etc will be less expensive in a group. We can share what we need that is expensive (like a tractor for instance.) I buy the tractor, and you can use it when ever you need. You have other things that you buy that I can share. Not communists owning everything together... just neighbors being neighborly. I don't think that any one person can ever TRULY be self sufficient alone. I don't see that in history, either. Now-a-days, in amish and menonite communities, a natural delineation of "jobs" occurs over time. I suspect this would happen in a homesteading community too. The guy who likes bees would be the supply of honey, another guy will make furniture etc... Fuels prices are about to go up again, and that will begin to impact the prices of goods sooner or later. A LOCAL economy makes sense.

As much as possible, I support the local economy in my life as it stands, anyway. A community would make that much easier.
    Plus, some of us are just more extraverted than others and we really don't WANT to run off into the hills on 50 acres all alone. We want to have neighbors, but we'd like those to be TRUE neighbors, not just folks who live close by.

I see the "american dream" as something I desire, but less than I desire relationships that I value, and a lifestyle I feel meets with my convictions. The "dream" is maybe 3rd or 4th on our list of things I value. We watched a generation give 100% to the dream, and those people (our parents) did very well for themselves, and we honor them for it. However, we saw them give things up (like time with their kids) to be "self made" that they now regret giving. We are trying to learn from their experience.

I, personally, am really not convinced that a "Christian" restriction is a good thing, (saying that every member must be a christian) even though I am one. I understand the point some folks are making about that, but I am not sure that excluding people from my life and community because they are NOT christian is a good "outworking" of my faith. That is just a personal concern that I am thinking through.

I also do not want to be a part of an "anti government group".

This is not such an odd idea. Subtract the homesteading part, and there are two developers here planning communities that are "walkable" - everything you need in one small place, and where folks have expressed an interest in greater community involvement. They are charging BIG BUCKS for it.

I do understand that it is not for everyone. I do not think it is a matter of control (or if it is, it doesn't have to be). It is just the way we wish to live.

20. Boleyz