Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have farm animals in particular..what time does your morning chore routine start and about how long does it take you? Just curious..

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think this is a question that could have so many answers that people aren't responding. If you have cows or goats it will take more time than if you have a couple of bunny hutches and some chickens.
Personally, I am a school bus driver and my chores are different during vacations and days off. I do not have animals that need milking. During the school year, if I have a "trip" between morning and afternoon runs I will go out at about 5:45 and do chores for about a half hour. If I will return home between runs I do chores at 8:30 for about 1/2 hour unless there are other things that need fixed...pens, sorting critters, moving critters from one pen to another...things that need done but maybe not at a particular time.
I guess the answer to your question....it would vary for all of us depening on jobs off the farm and critters on your farm.

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
about 6:45am, on my way out the door to work.
goats, chicks, dogs, cats. takes a little over 5 min. (feed and check water)
but then we do the chicks (change bedding, etc) when i get home from work (6pm or so) and that's about 10 min.

·
Registered
655 Posts
We have 8 calves, 2 goats, a dog, and a cat :) . Five of the calves are bottle-feeding. I go out at about 6:30, after dh leaves for work, and it takes me about 1/2 hour to feed, change water, clean pens, and wash bottles, etc. If dd is still asleep, I will also go pull weeds in garden and do any picking for a half hour or so.

:)
Shawna

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
a.m.: do outside rounds to feed and water goats, chicken, geese, ducklings and turkeys. About 15 minutes before work.

p.m.: do another round outside, closing turkeys into their nighttime shelter, also about 15 minutes. Feed indoor rabbits and refill water bottles, takes 5 minutes. Cleaning rabbit cages every other night takes about 20 minutes overall, interspersed with playtime. :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree it means different things to different people...

currently, we only have 30 chickens and a Great Pyr... we feed chickens in the morning ...10 minutes tops for fresh water and all.. and a scoop of feed in the afternoon again, and then feed the dog at night every night...

if we feed the dog in the morning then when the chickens get out ..which they always do... they come to the back porch and eat the dogs food :D oh and yeah..poop on my porch! ICK

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Our chore times vary...... During the week, it's 7AM and 6PM.... Weekends, whenever we feel like going out of the house..... I usually try to stick close to the weekday times..... On average it takes us (together) about 15 minutes; 17 heifers, 6 outside cats, 19 chickens, 2 rabbits, 1 dog, 1 goat, 1 inside cockatiels, and 1 inside cat.... Now of course that's working together, which we often do..... If the heifers need a hay bale down, that's an extra 15 or so minutes ( we try to keep that to a Saturday)..... Our 8 cattle in the pasture get nothing but grass, and a hay bale for now, so no time there.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
It takes me about 20-30 minutes every morning, starting at 6:30 to milk 2 goats, feed and check water.

It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour every evening, starting at about 6 pm to milk, feed everything, fill waterers, and lock up animals.

Winona

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Milk 80-85 cows. It takes me about 4 hours in the morning, starting at 5. About 20 minutes at noon, 3 hours at night from about 3:45, and another 20 minutes at bedtime. More throughout the day between fieldwork if something goes wrong or something extra needs done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts