Choosing a date for the 2005 WA Homesteaders' Picnic

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, Jul 10, 2005.

Which is best for you for the WA picnic?

1. Weekday: Aug 8-12

2. Weekend: Aug 13 or 14

3. Weekday: Aug 15-19

4. Weekend: Aug 20 or 21

5. Weekday: Aug 22-26

6. Weekend: Aug 27 or 28

7. Weekday Aug 29-Sep 2

8. Any day is fine for me/us

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Magdabauer, who will be hosting the picnic at her place in Granite Falls, has PM'ed me that any date is fine, so let's get started and narrow it down a little! First of all, let's decide if it will be more convenient to have it on a weekday or a weekend, and then we can choose the date. Labor Day weekend will be a bear for ferries and travel in general, so I haven't put that as an option.

Please only vote if you are definite about attending, (if the selected date allows.) You can choose more than one option.

2. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

Weekends work better for us, we could run down between milkings!
    sounds like fun!!

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Okay, I voted.

But let me tell you which weekend/weekdays do not work...aug 13-22 is fair week (and get ready/die afterwards.) :cowboy:

Generally, Sundays work better than Saturdays, but some Saturdays work well. Weekdays would mean my daughter would have to come along, which is fine if there are other kids her age around.

So even though I voted for one particular weekend, aside from fair week, I can be pretty flexible!

4. snoozy

How old is your daughter? My boy is almost 6.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I voted.

Beginning of August is better for me. Towards the end of August harvest starts and it gets harder for me to get away.

6. kesoaps

Snoozy, she's 11.

I've just had a crinkle thrown in, as there's been an issue where I work (very limited part time) and I'm going to be there nearly every day for who knows how long. Sunday's are the only guaranteed day off.

7. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, I voted. Weekends work better for me and I'm not very picky under normal circumstances. I have a houseful of family coming up the first couuple weeks of Aug. though so I'm not available until the end of the month. My14 son and 16 yo daughter may come with me if there are going to be other kids around that age, That's ok, isn't it?

8. snoozy

What a question!! What's a picnic without kids? Sundays are fine with me, too. I actually didn't vote for the 26-27 of Aug because that's when the Kitsap Fair is, but we're not exhibiting or anything -- just going to enjoy, and we can go on Thurs or Fri anyway. So we can add an extra vote for that weekend.

So where are all the Washington homesteaders?! Come ON, folks! -- take a chance and come enjoy an afternoon with people who care what breed of pigs you like, or what you feed your cows, or footrot in Romneys, or how you deal with power outtages, or what your next scheme is to foil the mailbox baseball gang...People who not only don't think you're weird but are actually interested in these burning issues.

9. kesoaps

Where did everybody go?

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Well, I count 14 votes. How many people does that translate to? I see 5 posters on this thread.

C'mon, who else will you be able to whine to about how the rain split all of your cherries? Or how a hawk took your favorite hen - the one who liked to roost on your head? I don't know about you all, but my city friends just get a glazed look in their eyes when I start talking about apple scab and coop dimensions...

11. kesoaps

Ooooo....did the hawk take the hen while she was sitting on your head??? :shrug: Guess we'll never know if you don't show...

(BTW, I've got pics of a hawk in my chicken coop...)

12. snoozy

Since people can vote for multiple options, actually, only 9 people have voted. But remember, 9 voters represent their family (hopefully) so I'm sure it will be a good gathering.

13. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I voted for anytime because I don't know what our summer schedule is yet, it is created weekly. We are still waiting for summer.

I am 3 1/2 hours west of Seattle and Bellingham, how much farther is Granite Falls? I will bring at least one kid, 10 and maybe the other one too, 15.

14. snoozy

Well, it is looking to me like the weekend of Aug 27-28 will work bestest for the mostest...6 plus my extra vote plus the 3 people who voted for any day is fine, makes for 10 homesteaders cool with that weekend.

From one o'clock? Noon? What's easiest for whomever has to travel from furthest?

Okay, this is a potluck, and of course, do try to bring something you've grown yourself or cooked yourself. (Don't cop-out with a storebought package of danishes or something!!) If you do know what you would like to bring, post it to this thread, so we don't end up with 47 salads and a plate of slug sushi.

I've got badminton rackets and real feather birdies if someone has a net... ;)

15. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

That is SO COOL I'd love to be able to do something like this in Oregon! Do you do it every year? I don't think I'd have enough room to host.

16. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'll bring potato salad. I've got lots o' spuds and onions in the ground.

It's just me and my husband, so I guess I'll bring him along.

Elgordo, come on up! This is the first year we've done the picnic thing (that I know of). I'll be great to put faces to the names I've been interacting with online.

17. kesoaps

Laura, Granite Falls is closer to you, but I'm not sure how much driving time you'd save.

So, are we talking Saturday or Sunday? Or is this an over night thing?

18. snoozy

If people want to overnight, PM Magdabauer and work it out with her. I know a lot of people will want to or need to get back to take care of their animals.

I will be bringing Thai-style spring rolls with spicy peanut sauce. (The lettuce and chives and mint and Vietnamese cilantro will be from my garden.)

19. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't vote because I don't know if we will definatly be able to come. If we can, there will be just two of us. We've got vacation, 2 weddings, a couple of birthdays out of town. I hope we can come, it should be a lot of fun.

20. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure we can come! It will just be the two of us, I don't know what I'll bring yet, depends on what the garden is doing then. probably something with zuccinni in it!! :eek:

Kathy