Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had your cholesterol level checked? Do you do anything to lower it or raise the "good" cholesterol level? We can all laugh about it but in reality it is basic sense to try and be healthier. My total is 185 but bad cholesterol is 128 and the Doc wants me to work at getting it down which I will try with diet and exercise. The other choice is to take statins which I would like to avoid if possible.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a problem with my cholesterol. My total is 259. Good cholesterol is only 19. Triglycerides are 1200 which also skews the results for bad cholesterol. Mine is partially hereditary and I've just recently started on statins. Stay away from them if possible. with your numbers you shouldn't even be prescribed statins. They have some horrendous side effects.
I now eat a diet that is natural for the most part. It's low carb, low fat, and low cholesterol. I have to keep close track of everything I eat. Blueberries and garlic are extremely good for your levels. Keep animal products to a minimum and eat lots of veggies and fruits. Although chicken breast with no skin is okay. Also keep starches to a minimum. Breads, pasta, potatoes raise your risk and numbers, too.
Exercise is very important too. It's important to keep your blood circulating well. My dr. recommends about 30 minutes of cardio exercise a day.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Mine is 166. It's down from 207. Diet changes have worked quite well. More full grain cereal, especially oats, and less fatty foods.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
mine is 140 but i went to the ER tuesday w/ chest pains because of my "history" so had to do a stress test and everything else all which were negative.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm 44 and my doc has not yet felt the need to check my cholesterol level. There is no heart disease in my family.....I have no health problems....I eat very healthfully...I exercise.

But even if I knew that I have an elevated cholesterol level I wouldn't take drugs for it.....I have no other heart disease risk factors. Why put my liver at risk?

If I had a bunch of other risk factor, then yes, I would consider drugs.

My grandparents lived to be 98 and 97 without ever having their cholesterol levels checked.....and they lived on a German pork diet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Beeman said:
Have you had your cholesterol level checked? Do you do anything to lower it or raise the "good" cholesterol level? We can all laugh about it but in reality it is basic sense to try and be healthier. My total is 185 but bad cholesterol is 128 and the Doc wants me to work at getting it down which I will try with diet and exercise. The other choice is to take statins which I would like to avoid if possible.
Forget about your LDL for a moment. Here are some ratios to look at. What is your HDL? Divide your HDL by your Total Cholesterol. This number should be 25 percent or higher. Also what are your triglycerides? They may be more important. Divide your triglycerides by your HDL. This should be below 2. More and more studies suggest eating less sugars and sugar producing foods such as refined grains will get triglycerides down. Also, taking fish oil and or flax seed will raise the HDL. Consume more leafy greens and exercise. That should do the trick. Healthy fats are not the enemy.

·
Registered
12,446 Posts
Red Yeast Rice, a dietary supplement suppose to reduce cholesterol. 2 / 2x a day for a month. Have your levels rechecked, then go on maintenance of one a day.
Will create flatulence until your body adjusts...

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
A heart attack at age 36, triple bypass at 56, Total cholesteral 170 with lipitor. My cardiologist says diet and exercise will only lower cholesteral by about 10%. Heredity is biggest factor. I was not overweight at 36 but did smoke and stress factors (farming) were high. Semi retired and watching the other rats run the race.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
I look at it this way.

Humanity has lived for many hundreds, thousands maybe even millions of years without knowing or caring what their cholesteral level is.

A couple of years ago I was forced to have a blood test, and as I recall cholesteral was higher than it should be. Not like I care or even gave it a second thought.

Your life can be consumed with worrying about stuff like that, if you let it. IMHO when it comes to cholesteral, the cure is worse than the disease, especially if there are drugs involved.

donsgal

·
Registered
348 Posts
About a year ago my total cholesterol was right at 300 :eek: I've been on statin drugs for years now and my cholesterol has done nothing but go higher and higher. Mine is from heredity. Changing my diet doesn't effect it. I quit taking statin drugs about 6 months ago. I was having horrendous debilitating panic attacks. Turns out these were caused by the statin drugs. I also experienced muscle weakness and I was very lethargic. This cleared up when I quit taking the drugs. For me the side effects are so bad that I'd rather not take anything.

Garlic is good. Fish and flax oil are good for raising your good cholesterol. Check out kelation therapy. I some folks who had good luck with it. I go to see a new doc here in a couple of weeks and I'm going to ask him about it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
TxGypsy said:
About a year ago my total cholesterol was right at 300 :eek: I've been on statin drugs for years now and my cholesterol has done nothing but go higher and higher. Mine is from heredity. Changing my diet doesn't effect it. I quit taking statin drugs about 6 months ago. I was having horrendous debilitating panic attacks. Turns out these were caused by the statin drugs. I also experienced muscle weakness and I was very lethargic. This cleared up when I quit taking the drugs. For me the side effects are so bad that I'd rather not take anything.

Garlic is good. Fish and flax oil are good for raising your good cholesterol. Check out kelation therapy. I some folks who had good luck with it. I go to see a new doc here in a couple of weeks and I'm going to ask him about it.
which of the statins were you on?? my step dad had issues with lipitor but not crestor and the crestor dropped his cholesterol right down.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a level of 200 with Lipitor, no side effects. After two years started drinking 2 beers a day in 4 months level was 129 and even when I eat just about anything I want, it never goes above 145. I am 65 years old.

·
Registered
348 Posts
CGUARDSMAN said:
which of the statins were you on?? my step dad had issues with lipitor but not crestor and the crestor dropped his cholesterol right down.
My docs have put me on just about every statin medication that they make. I've always had bad side effects with them. I didn't realise the panic attacks were a side effect of the medication until I was telling a pharmacist friend of mine about my panic attacks. He asked what all I was on and told me to quit the statin drugs and see what happened. It took a month of being off of them for the panic attacks to go away. I had them so bad that I'd be in the middle of a conversation with someone and I'd have to leave, and I couldn't tell them what was wrong. My body kicked in the 'flight' response. I don't think I've been on crestor but I'm not sure....I've taken so many.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jethro said:
I had a level of 200 with Lipitor, no side effects. After two years started drinking 2 beers a day in 4 months level was 129 and even when I eat just about anything I want, it never goes above 145. I am 65 years old.
Do ya reckon the beers had something to do with it? I'm a non-drinker but if it will work I might could learn :D

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I walk daily and eat lots of whole grain, esp. oats. That keeps the total down. However, my dr says my good cholesterol is too low and put me on 3 fish oil capsules a day. Seems to be fixing it.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
58 years old cholesterol 134
blood pr 115/68
pulse ... normal
no blockage
other blood good shape
Weight 380

Have bad heart with growth inside on one of the walls, one side is larger that normal, have fibrillation take blood thinners, and it has nothing to do with my weight either.

Eat anything and everything else I like, ( fat pork, and fat beef, fat bacon, and chickens with the skin and also turkey with skin, fish, crabs, shrimp, Lobster, balona canned treet, potted meat, vianea sauages, hotdogs, hamburgrers, steak with good marbled fat, drink beer, etc. etc. etc. ) and I don't worry about it ... or it will kill you.

Worry kills.
Don't get your bowels in an up roar, and let your mind go crazy.
Be careful.
The doctors will kill you with to much of that legal dope, dope, dope, and more dope ! ! !

bumpus

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I'm trying to understand about cholesterol levels. Had mine checked and nurse called with results. She said total was a little high and I might try to get that down but everything else was really great. Total was 211. Triglycerides was 83. HDL was 100 and LDL was 94. Using Concrete Cowboy's formula HDL divided by total gives me 47%. He said it should be more than 25% and Tri. divided by HDL is .8. He said it should be less than 2. I guess what I'm wondering is if everything else is so great why is total cholesterol high?

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,245 Posts
In 1997 I moved to Italy, and went onto the 'mediterranean diet'. They checked my cholesterol and freaked, it had maxed out their lab equipment and they could not get a reading on it. They drew samples three times, and never did get a reliable reading. Their blood lab's equipment maxed out at 450. So I was somewhere above that.

I began nutrition counseling once a month for six months and then we started the drugs.

I am on Zocor-Simvastatin and Lopid-gemfibrozil, and I have been on both of those two drugs since 1998. Every year or two the docs raise my doses. Right now I am at the highest dose of both.

My # is 246mg/dL,
Tri = 116mg/dL,
HDL = 56mg/dL,
% HDL = 22.8%
LDL = 167mg/dL

All of my grandparents lived into their late 90's and died of other causes. My parents are currently in their late 80's and going strong. No family history of anything.

???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.