Choking goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tnborn, Jun 3, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

What causes a goat to choke when it is chewing its cud? Goat is chewing on maple leafs and then acts like it is choking. Tries to cough and opens mouth. Looks like it is trying to gag best description that I can give.Then walks around and goes back to eating again as if nothing is wrong.What do I do when this occurs?Is the goat choking?
    tnborn

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's a little harder to get that cud up. We have some goats that you can actually watch the cud slide up and down their throat. Younger goats will cough and cough to work that cud around.

I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Please note that red maples are poisonous. She could be reacting to something that tastes really bad, like maybe poison, or maybe a snail on a leaf.

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

It's not a fainting goat is it? We had a kid born this winter that would get starteled at the slightest thing when eating and stiffen just enough that his throat would tighten, causing him to choke and even vomit. New owner said he seems to be getting better, so apparently is outgrowing it. Good luck.

5. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it just the Red Maples? I was told even with cattle and horses, all maples were poisonous along with Oaks.