Choking, eating too fast or a problem?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I noticed one of my bucklings keeps coughin. However, it seems it has been when he sticks his head through the fence and pushes. So other than pushing him back through on his side I didn't think anything about it. Tonight I gave him a handful of grain and he was gobbling it down and began to cough and choke. It spit it up and didn't want to eat anymore. Should I be concerned? it hasn't happened before while eating. I figure he was probably just eating too fast...any ideas? Should I be concerned?

2. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

wellllll..... when my young doelings were coughing, I was told to worm them for lungworms and it worked! It could be that he's got them, and whenever he does anything involving his throat, it irritates it...

sorry just a guess! Good Luck, -Jill

3. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

If he's only coughing when he's "choking himself" or when he's eating grain, I'd say it's pretty normal. My bucklings and doelings did it all the time while eating their grain until they got use to the feel of the grain in their mouth.

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I wormed everyone with Safeguard. I went today and got some Ivermectin. I'll try that, I read on Fiasco Farms that I should worm them 3-4 days in a row. How long should I discard milk? or can I use it for anything else?