Choking dog...need advice QUICK!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Just posted this in the canine forum too:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonnie is choking on a rawhide. She keeps gagging, but the only thing that comes out is spit. She's walking around, but her breathing is a little labored. Is there anything I can do to help her get this piece of rawhide chewie out of her throat? We sat in the bathroom and I massaged her throat, but it didn't seem to help (although she seemed to enjoy it).

Will it dislodge on it's own? Can you do the Heimlech (sp?) on a dog? She is still walking around, but wheezes when she breathes and gags/chokes when she tries to swallow.

The closest emergency vet is over 30 miles away. Is there ANYTHING I can do???

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

Have you looked to see how far down her throat it is, you can just reach in an grab & pull .

Good luck

3. Ravenlost

Never mind, I think she's okay now. I massaged her throat right behind the lower jaw bone and suddenly she started panting. Now she's lying down and isn't gagging any more.

Scared me to death.

Thanks for responding JoyKelley. I looked down her throat, but couldn't see a thing. I think she'll be okay now.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

If you do the reach and pull make sure to put something between her canines to keep the mouth open so she doesn't accidently bite you. Hemlich won't work if air is getting around the chewy. You need a seal to use air to force the object out. My best thought is look and do the reach and pull if possible. My older boy (when I still allowed rawhide) would get chips stuck at the top of his throat and I was always able to pull it out. If you can see it and she that uncomfortable, I'm afraid you may have to try for the emergency vet. Let us know when she's OK!

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

there the worst thing in the world to give a dog they swollow to big a piece and it can get tangled on ther intestines very bad

6. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I never allow my dogs to have rawhide chewies for many reasons. I give them "bully sticks" and never have had a problem because they are sticks of dried beef muscle. My dogs chew them up and eat them all with no problems. I do watch them as they chew them tho.

7. Ravenlost

I didn't think the Hemlich would work. And I can promise you the dogs will never get another rawhide! I think I was more scared than Bonnie was.

She quit panting and is now sleeping (and breathing) peacefully. I think rubbing just behind the jaw helped dislodge it. Thank goodness...I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get to the emergency vet in time.

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

The bull sticks around here definitely come from bulls, but it's not really a muscle! :p BTW my doggies love those too. I just don't tell anybody what they REALLY are!

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I did the heimlich on Schon the Shih Tzu once,he was dying in front of our eyes. :eek: I didnt know there was such a thing for dogs,I just did it,had to do something! Third or fourth time,out popped the obstruction. :angel:

BooBoo

10. Ravenlost

Booboo...the reason I didn't think it would work was because she was able to breathe. Her airway wasn't completely blocked.

11. MeowMix

MeowMix Active Member

Yes, I agree. Absolute worst thing.

12. inthewoods

inthewoods Well-Known Member

I no longer buy rawhide chews for our dogs. Our Boston Terrier almost choked on one. I had to pull it out of her throat.

I'm glad your dog is ok. I'm sure you were very scared!