Chokeberries?

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by Ozarks Tom, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Ozarks Tom

Ozarks Tom Well-Known Member

We planted 30 Elderberry, and 30 Chokeberry bushes more for looks and privacy than any other reason, but, we hate to waste anything.

There are tons of recipes for Elderberry, but can't find any for Chokeberry. Is there any use for them? We'd like to make jam or jelly, but boy are they bitter!

Any suggestions?

Tom

2. praieri winds

praieri winds Well-Known Member

could you use the basic pie cherry recipe for jelly you might just have to experiment
    with some juice to see how much sugar it takes to make it sweet then use that for pancake syrup and make jelly out of the rest

3. praieri winds

praieri winds Well-Known Member

4. Ozarks Tom

Ozarks Tom Well-Known Member

Thanks so much. My sweet wife (who I failed to ask first) found several recipes for ChokeCHERRYS. Now I know how Homer Simpson feels.

5. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

I have made chokecherry jelly and syrup (aka syrup that didn't set up fully lol).

The link to the prairie homestead is to the first page ... here's the chokecherry jelly recipe. http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/...rry-jelly-low-sugar-and-honey-variations.html I agree that traditional chokecherry jelly uses lots of sugar. That's what I made the traditional version because as you said, the chokecherries are bitter. Here's more of a traditional version: http://www.food.com/recipe/chokecherry-jelly-101749

To get enough juice, I ended up pressing the chokecherries through a sieve.

Ozarks Tom likes this.
  6. OH Boy

OH Boy Well-Known Member

they make a great red wine!