Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat's udder skin has pretty much cleared up, thankfully.

However, I have some questions:

1. I froze my goat's milk. Assuming it could have been staph on her skin, can this soap be used for soapmaking?

2. When using the chlorahexidine for staph, is it used full strength or is it diluted as when used as a teat dip?

Just want to know the second one for future reference.

Thanks!

Jill.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
When we had staph the does never had it on their teats, but if you are hand milking and they have staph on their teats, I would not use the milk for drinking...soaping? Nothing gets passed the lye.

I use it full strength, I keep it in a spray bottle and use it for anything wrong with the skin that I don't use furox on. I don't use anything other than these two products...well except iodine on navels.

Vaccinate (lysigin from jeffers) and keep your spring barns clean and bright and you will not have staph next year. Vicki

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no clue if it was staph, I tend to think not, as there were no open sores or anything, I was told it was goat pox, or what they call goat pox in these parts, which maybe was orf but with no symptoms in the mouth? This was on the teats and the udder. The milk seemed fine in every way and her production did not drop. She just got skin like an elephant on her teats.

It cleared up on its own.

Only one of my goats had it, too, which makes me wonder.

But just on the off chance that it was, I wanted to knw about the soap making.

I didn't realize that there is actually a vaccine for staph? I've never heard of such a thing!

I'm pretty good about keeping the barn clean, but when it rains they stay in and hence they poop and pee inside a lot more than usual. After a week of gully washers the barn was not up to my standards, but perhaps not in a condition to bring about disease. Of course, I am still quite new at this, so I can't be sure about that.

Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, speaking of iodine, sis you know that you will not be able to get the 7% tincture of iodine any longer? It has been taken off the market because the people who make meth in their "homes" use it for this illegal activity!

I bought a gallon. I should probably get two. They told me at Agway that they got this in as their last order, and after this it will be unavailable!

Blessings, Jill!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.