CHLAMYDIA & PINKEYE - I'm sooooo confused!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

OK, we've been dealing with pinkeye for a while now (over a week, maybe two weeks). If pinkeye is caused by the Chlamydia bacteria, does that mean that every goat on the place that gets pinkeye will abort their babies when they have them? I haven't been able to find anything to tells me whether or not the abortion chlamydia and the pinkeye chlamydia exist together or if they are contracted separately and differently. It is very confusing. I all of them got pinkeye and it is cause by chladmydia, can I expect them all to have abortions? My buck has pinkeye too. Should I be worried about him passing something sexually to the does or is that form different? I just don't know if they get Chlamydia pinkeye and that means they have the STD form too, or what????? I'm not sure what to do at this point. We bought some goats from a friend and I do believe that he meant well but he was feeding them bread, no minerals, grain or feed....just bread crumbs and a small plot of pasture for 8 goats. She looks really thin. I know two of them had quite a worm load b/c they had diarhhea with worms in it!! Yuck!! All in all, I'd say they were not being properly cared for. He dewormed them with Positive Pellet Goat Dewormer. I guess I'd say that I don't have much faith in that stuff!! I used some Ivercide and they are all better. Anyway, this doe was pregnant and she aborted 2 bucklings yesterday. I'd say they were at least 3 wks early and maybe 4 wks early. They didn't make it, obviously. She was showing no signs of the pinkeye and seemed to be OK. Here's another questions now.....given the fact that I have pinkeye on the place, should I assume that she aborted due to the chlamydia bacteria or would it more likely be from lack of nutrients/minerals? Also, I haven't seen her pass the placenta and it has been over 24 hours now. These new goats all came from the same place and two of them were already bred and due in October. This is one of them. The other one is blind right now and on treatment. I could assume that the buck that served them was a carrier. What I am glad of is that my buck didn't breed them so he could be OK. Can anyone just shed some light for me? I don't understand all this but I want to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!!

2. Milk n' Honey

Bumping up....need help on this. Is Chlamydia curable, meaning you can completely get rid of it? I don't know whether to cull these does or just treat them?? Is Chlamydia only sometimes chronic? I have several does that have the pinkeye and I'm pretty sure this is the Chlamydia strain. I didn't get much clear info from my vet. She told me that it wasn't contagious to people and nothing I've read follows that advice. I'm taking every precaution as though it were. Please help me. I need to know what to do!!!! I rely so much on ya'll in times like this. I'm still learning!! Thanks so much.

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Pinkeye is not necessarily caused by chlamydia. I am not sure as I have not dealt with it before, but if they abort there really isn't anything you can do to prevent it. The one that did abort may have eaten the afterbirth.
    What are you doing to treat the pinkeye? If mine get it bad I give an LA200 shot everyday for 3 days. You can also squirt some directly into their eyes. Get some in the syringe, remove needle & drop a couple of drops in each eye. Flies can carry it from one goat to another so try to keep the fly population down. Fly strips, DE, anything to keep the flies down. Pinkeye pretty much needs to run it's course from what I have seen here.

4. Milk n' Honey

If it needs to run its course then why do we use antibiotics? I'm just curious b/c I've heard a lot of people say that it needs to run its course. That makes it sound like the antibiotics are not necessary. I am using LA200 every day for 5 days on the stubborn cases and triple antibiotic in the eyes too. I just wonder if it makes any difference. Would the outcome be the same if I were doing nothing?

5. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

6. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

I had pinkeye in my pregnant herd last year also-the one that aborted 3 weeks early, was blind in one eye-one other that had it the worse-aborted early-(came back into heat 2 monthes after bred-but then carried too term) BUT--the MAJORITY of the herd DID NOT abort--i gave everyone a round of LA200 shots at first sign of pinkeye in the herd-wether they showed signs or not-the only ones that got several shots, were the few that got it bad--another doe that was totally blind-carried hers too term. I know they say it will run it's course-but i feal better treating w/atleast la200 in the eye. It is not necasrily a "done deal"-that they will abort...95 % of mine DID NOT! Good luck-seems some years, it is always something! :shrug:

7. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I think the reason for the antibiotics is to keep it from getting too bad. My brother had some calves that he did not treat & their eyes ruptured & they were blind for good. It usually keeps it from getting that bad while allowing it to run it's course.

8. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Many years ago I had chlymydia in my herd, lost virtually an entire kid crop. I did not see pinkeye at the same time. I have had seen pink eye since then,occasionally, but have never experienced abortions again. So I know that they don't necessarily go hand in hand. They may be related strains, because they both respond favorably to la200.

To prevent late term abortions or dead kids at birth from chlymydia, the treatment is 4.5cc/100 lbs of oxytetracycline (la200 is one brand) SQ every two weeks during the last 2 months of pregnancy. LA200 is cheap compared to losing kids, and its a pretty low risk treatment to get thru these pregnancies. JMHO.

9. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Milk n' Honey,

How are your goats doing??

Thanks,
    Lynn in Mesa Count, CO

10. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

There are several strains of Chlamydia. I think c. pecorum is the culprit for the eye infections without abortion and that c. psittaci is the culprit for the abortions. BUT, c. psittaci can also cause eye infections so that might be why some owners have experienced the eye infections and abortions and other have only had the eye infections.

11. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

We brought home pink eye home from the fair one year. It didn't seem like a big deal until the folowing kiding season we lost about 60 percent of the kid crop from abortions. We used tetrasyclene in their feed during their last two months of pregnancy the following season and only had one abort. I've since read you can give them a shot of LA200 (or the equivelent) about three months into pregnancy to prevent it. Which to me seems more reliable if you have many goats, because we usually have a few that get rooted out of the grain. So to be on the safe side, if I were you I would treat them at about three months along.

12. Milk n' Honey

lacesout - Right now, the ulcerated goat is better, with her ulcers almost gone and eyes beginning to heal. Two other goats, including my buck, are blind and trying to ulcerate. Almost every white goat on the place is seeming to be more affected. I'm referring to all white goats, not the Boers. I have a couple more that are starting to tear up. Several goats are either resisting it or just haven't gotten it yet. I'm not sure. I have two does that I believe to be pregnant. We are feeding the tetracycline crumbles in their feed. It seems to be making them bloat a bit though. They are passing gas and everything. My husband has just about had it. I think he is almost to the point of an "only the strong survive" attitude. We are spending a lot of money and time on the goats. We've dealt with hoof scald which affecting about 6 goats and made our buck lame. Just when we got him on his feet, the pinkeye comes and makes him blind. Poor guy. The ponies and my rabbits never have anything wrong with them but these goats...there is always something. I love them though. It is a good thing. I keep holding out for better days! Thanks for asking about them. Ya know, we may not even have chlamydia. We had one abort so I assumed as much but she has many other stong possibilities for aborting. First of all, she had not been given any mineral. She was quite thin, being on only grass pasture and no hay or grain. We brought her here and introduced her to new goats which means she could have been head-butted in the side and lost them that way. Who knows? Maybe it was a great coincidence. That is what I'm hoping for.

billygoatridge - What a horrible loss. How did you deal with the pinkeye outbreak when you had it? We are planning on giving shots of oxytetracycline to the pregnant does. I read where once they abort, they are immune and won't abort the next time. I wonder...if I give the shot and keep them from aborting, do they still become immune after that kidding or will I have to continue giving a shot every pregnancy until I let them abort? I hope that isn't a stupid question but I just wondered.

13. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

When I read that the white goats were more affected, it reminded me of when I brought home 10 dairy babies from a large herd. They all had many problems but the white and lighter colored ones seemed worse...when I began to give them Sweetlix Meatmaker minerals the problems began to resolve themselves.

14. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Here's my understanding on the abortive chlymydia--first fresheners are most succeptible, because after aborting or delivering full term dying kid, a doe does have an immunity. It is not a lifetime immunity, but may protect them for several years.

The oxytetracycline therapy for pregnant does is one shot, SQ, every 2 weeks for the last half of the pregnancy. There is a vaccine for this chlymydia psittachi as well.

Good luck.

Shelby