@ chix butchering time can pigs clean up?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mpillow, Feb 8, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking to raise a few chix for meat and eggs.

My question is can I feed chix entrails uncooked to the piggies we might also raise? Or should they be cooked? Or not at all...

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Mpillow, everyone does it different, but in my case I don't feed raw meat to my pigs. I don't feed them anything I wouldn't eat myself, lol sounds weird but I make sure the scraps I feed them are fairly fresh too. IF I were going to feed chicken to my pigs, I'd probably cook it.
    This is just the way I do it. :)

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I feed the gullet and clean entrails (upper intestine?) to the pigs immediately after I butcher chicken. Keep in mind - I should have this as a disclaimer- that I raise wild pigs which are freshly off the wild range by no more than one generation. I only have a couple of first generation captive born here right now actually, the others have all been trapped. Domestic pigs may not have the same immunity. My pigs might kill ducks, turkeys, chicken... anything that wanders in unawares if they want to- they don't always. Since they do this on their own, I've no qualm about feeding raw parts but I have a personal definition for what food is and what poop is. Everything is clean and fresh. On a side note: Salmonella is endemic to chicken - the longer the chicken is "dead," the more bacteria the carcass will have. It simply multpilies and has no kill off unless cooked. The sooner you feed the raw parts, the less salmonella it will have.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

some chickens carry salmonella. Since it usually causes little to no symptoms in them, and pigs are susceptible to it, it can make them sick. That said, I've never had a problem doing it.

5. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

We feed guts, heads and feathers (from healthy birds) to the pigs, and have not had a problem.

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I would have to agree but would add that common sense needs to be used in how much they can eat at a time. When we butcher our birds, about 20 per day for a week, I feed a portion of the offal but do not overload them. I have never had a problem but I do have a friend who had a pig choke to death on rabbit offal.....impromptu slaughter time.