Chipper/shredder

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by shadowwalker, May 8, 2005.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I just bought a chipper/shredder at a garage sale and the lady didn't know anything about it. It's a craftsman 8 horse power, older one I guess. My problem is on T.V. it shows the people putting the wood in one and the wood is spraying out into a nice neat pile. Mine sprays the pieces (about 3/4" x 3/4" and paper thin) over a twenty to thirty foot area and it looks like yellow rain spraying out. The exit points down. I used old and newcut wood. Any help would be appreciated. shadowwalker

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Check for a deflector that is missing, usually sheet metal or you can creat one with heavy canvas. It mounts at the end of the exhaust chute.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

It also should have a removable screen (with holes that could be from 1/2 inch to 2 inches or so) that fits over the outlet and fairly close to the mammers that do the grinding. The purpose of the "screen" is to ensure that the material gets ground up finer. Without the screen, it might to what you described.
    You might want to see if you can find instructions or a parts manual of your unit or a similar one on the internet.

Jim

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I think if you contact Sears with the model number, they'll find a manual for you.

5. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Try this site:

http://www3.sears.com/

Have your model number in hand and you ought to be able to find the parts diagram for your machine. From that you should be able to determine what, if anything is missing. Should be able to order a manual there too, maybe even download one.

6. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

SW are you sure the only outlet is on the bottom? I have an older kemp which has an internal springloaded deflector. If in it's natural spring loaded position the chips rotate around as many times as necessary until they shoot out the bottom screen. If the springloaded deflector is clipped into the other position the chips can shoot out the bottom if they're small enough or out the front if they're a little bigger. Does your unit have a deflector like that?

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks all, very much. shadowwalker