Chipped keys? How to replicate....?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by QBVII, Dec 4, 2006.

1. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

We bought an older Cadillac and tried to have keys made - they said we had to take it to a dealership - because it was a "chipped" key.

The dealership wanted $30 to make another set of keys!!!

Yikes. Hubby said he just read you can have a locksmith make a set for a third of that, anyone have any experiences - also read you can buy "blank" keys on eBay and program them yourself by inserting them into the ignition........?

TIA

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

You may be able to deal with someone from an older more established locksmith service...I remember once having gotten my car trunk opened at a locksmith once..he just brought out a set of master key like things and taa daa..it was open

3. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

The Chip is in the Black part and the car Will Not Start without that Chip~! And that is why it is 30 bucks at the dealer, Well worth that price for sure.
    it is part of the Anti Theft on vehicles now days.

4. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

It depends on the type of key. If it's an older cadillac it's probably VATS which is a very simple system which just has a resistor embedded in the shaft of the key in a little plastic bump. You just need a key with the same resistance. If you get out your multimeter and measure the ohmmeter you can then order the proper blank key and have it cut to match the original key. There is also a way to bypass the system completely, that involves splicing in a resistor between two wires under the dash. If the dealer only wants $30 for a new key, it's probably this system.

If it's a newer car than that, it'll be harder to get a copy. The newer systems are called passkey or something like that, and actually have a small microchip in the handle part of the key. There are bypass modules for these systems, but they are more complicated to install, so on these systems it's usually best to bite the bullet and get the dealer key.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have read that you can get a plain key made and then put the one chipped key within 7 inches of the ignition key slot and the plain key will start the engine. If that works you just buy 2 ea. keys for a dollar apiece and duct tape the one chipped key to the steering column.

6. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

$30 is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday the only key to our jeep quit working....well they cant program the key without the vehicle.....the jeep was in our yard 30 minutes away from a dealership!!!!

we talked one dealership into cutting a new key without programming it with us understanding that it would start the jeep but then immediately die.....we drove our car to the dealership and they cut the key. We drove 30 min home and we used it to "unlock" the ignition tumbler...carefully insert the old key and restart the jeep.....then drove the jeep to the dealership to have the key programmed.....

total cost

key cut $56

program said key $34

so programming the key cost nearly as much as the key itself....consider yourself lucky!!!!!

I am preparing to pay for another key next month so we have 2 working keys and wouldnt have to repeat the money sucking process!!!!

Rachel

7. poppy

poppy Guest

I don't know if this applies to all vehicles and I don't remember what vehicle we were driving at the time, but about 5 years ago my wife locked our only set of keys in the car. Called a locksmith buddy in another town and he unlocked it for me. I wanted him to make me another set of keys, but he couldn't because it was a chipped key. He said the dealer wanted 50.00 to make one, but I could just get a plain key that would work the passenger door. That door did not require a chipped key. Worked fine.

8. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

What a racket.
    If I'd noticed this I never would have bought the car. Thirty bucks to have a key made. I don't think so.
    It never ceases to amaze me, the different ways they have to rip people off.......

9. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

What he said. I will add on some of the keys with the chip in the top black epoxy/plastic part of the key (like Ford) there are ways to program the key yourself but it typically requires that you have two that already work. That said, if it's $20 it's probably the older VATS system and those usually run $20-25 from the dealer. You likely won't realize a huge savings trying to get around them in this case.

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually it's not, it's a security measure. Makes it harder to steal because the key works both mechanically and electrically. A twirp kid popping the lock with a screwdriver still won't be able to start the car and steal it.

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

If the radio says Theft Protection on it, have fun changing the battery. Your car basically needs to be hooked up to life support first, or it will be $30 to reprogram the radio.

Then who knows what with the On-Star vehicles, they pretty much follow you around with those, my sis is so sick of the spam calls she gets about servicing the car or renewing one thing or another - they can track how the car is behaing with that system.

--->Paul

12. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

If it is the newer passkey system you have to have two working keys to be able to program a new key yourself.
    Stealership wanted $25.00 for a blank passkey, they wouldn't cut it-I had to have that done they said, then they wanted another $75.00 to program. I went and talked to a locksmith about it. He said he could do it and he charged me $75.00 for the key and programing. He said not all locksmiths can do it because you have to buy a special computer. He was still high, but he was lower than the stealership.
    Now that I have two working keys, I am going to try programing my own, just as soon as I can talk my self into buying another $25.00 blank.

13. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

There should be instructions in the owners manual.

14. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Doesn't work as an anti-theft measure; people have had their vehicles stolen and because they still have the keys, the insurance won't pay them for the loss.
    Basically it's a way for the insurance company to avoid paying when the car is stolen..... :rolleyes:

15. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

I've read tons of theft claims and I've never heard of a company not paying out merely b/c someone still has the keys to their car. I've had one of mine stolen that had the chip in it and I had my money within a week.

I'd love to see some concrete info on that particular claim there as I don't believe it happens as a regular occurance, nor your second claim based on that first one.

16. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I didn't even know what chipped keys were until I looked on the internet yesterday and I found a page where people were talking about them and how they are supposed to be anti-theft but that several people had had their cars stolen and because they still had the keys the ins. company wouldn't pay out.

Here is the article:

Pinch My Ride
    Ignition keys equipped with signal-emitting chips were supposed to put car thieves out of business. No such luck – but try telling that to your insurance company.
    By Brad StonePage 1 of 3 next »

Last summer Emad Wassef walked out of a Target store in Orange County, California, to find a big space where his 2003 Lincoln Navigator had been. The 38-year-old truck driver and former reserve Los Angeles police officer did what anyone would do: He reported the theft to the cops and called his insurance company.

Two weeks later, the black SUV turned up near the Mexico border, minus its stereo, airbags, DVD player, and door panels. Wassef assumed he had a straightforward claim for around $25,000. His insurer, Chicago-based Unitrin Direct, disagreed.

Wassef’s Navigator, like half of all late-model domestic cars on the road today, is equipped with a transponder antitheft system: The ignition key is embedded with a tiny computer chip that sends a unique radio signal to the vehicle’s onboard computer. Without the signal, the car won’t start. And Wassef still had both of his keys.

The insurance company sent a forensic examiner to check out the disemboweled SUV in an impound lot. The ignition lock, mounted on the steering column, had been forcibly rotated, probably with a screwdriver. The locking lug on the steering wheel, which keeps it from being turned when the truck is not in gear, had also been damaged. But the transponder system was intact. The car could have been shifted and steered, the investigator concluded, but the engine couldn’t have been turned on. “Since you reportedly can account for all the vehicle keys, the forensic information suggests that the loss did not occur as reported,” the company wrote to Wassef, denying his claim. The barely hidden subtext: Wassef was lying.

“I got shafted, basically,” Wassef says. He’s not the only one. US carmakers and auto-mobile insurers are unshakably certain that vehicles protected by “transponder immobil-izers” can’t be driven without the proper keys – or, at least, that circumventing those transponder systems takes more sweat and money than most auto thieves are willing to expend. So car companies advertise their security systems as unbreakable, insurers and consumers believe these assertions, and then folks like Wassef find themselves engaged in all-out war when their cars vanish."

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey.html
    "

17. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

If that is the case, and I was a theif, I would just steal a rollback and start stealing these cars.

18. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

There is always some cases that people can find, but that does not mean that is the rule of thumb either.
    There is also an interrupter one can buy and Plug into the ignition, and when you get out of the car you take the Plug with you.
    There are many things now on cars that the Back Yard fixer upper can't do.
    You have to have special tools and such.
    Somebody mentioned changing the battery, YA those NEW anti Theft Radios. aaarrrggg AND NO there is nothing in the Car Manual to reprogram it.
    That is also a Dealer thing to do.
    BUT there is a way to get around that~! You can buy like under 5 bucks a plug in deal that uses a 9 volt battery and plug it in the Cigarette Lighter and THAT HOLDS the radio and its codes~!!!!!
    There is WAY more computer power now on cars and have been so for the last 15 years then it took to put a man on the moon~!!!
    And getting more and more computer chips in them also.......

19. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I just looked in the manual. This is a PASS key. (I wondered why we only got one set of keys when we bought the car....I guess he lost the other set.) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info --- I'm not worried about the radio --- but we're notorious around here for losing car keys!!!

I just want to be able to start the car......LOL