chipmunks run amuck

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wormlady, Mar 28, 2005.

1. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Even though we still have about 18 inches of snow on the ground, the chipmunks are out in full force. We usually enjoy the cute little critters, but this past year they dug into our rock wall by our front porch and we are afraid they might be damaging it.

We don't want to poison them, cuz of our dog. Our neighbors shoot them, but that doesn't seem to dent their population and I've heard live trapping isn't the way to go either.

Any other suggestions?

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

You could allways get a cat :p . Seriously, predator urine might work. Garden supply stores sell bobcat/fox/coyote urine. I have also heard that cayene pepper acts as a natural deterant as well.

3. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

We have had the same problem. They undermined one retaining wall and started on a second. Then, a fox moved into the neighborhood and that problem in solved. Now I know I will have to make a very secure chicken house but I have known that for awhile. We have all sorts of critters.

My DH saw the fox the other day and said he was huge. I suggested that perhaps she was huge because she is going to have kits. He has never thought of that.

As for getting rid of them, there are poison pellets that you can get and drop them down the hole. Can't guaruntee thatthey will work - cause it didn't for us! Maybe they did and just reduced the population.

Many people complain about ground hogs, squirrels, etc. for damage. I think chipmunks do the most damage and are the hardest to control. I can shoot the ground hog or the squirrel but the chipmunk is too fast for me and usually near the house.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Preditor urine can be got at trapping supply house.

5. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Boy am I glad I can buy predator urine.
    Not one of those DIY things I want to tackle.

Thanks for all the helpful info!

6. groovy mike

groovy mike Member

I'd go with the cat. Seriously - chances are good that you can get one for free. We live in teh midst of hardwoods with squirrels all around. But never have had troublke with them in teh house thansk to a couple indoor/outdoor cats.