***chinook***

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Jan 18, 2005.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Picture it...18 inches of snow melting in 48 hours onto frozen ground!
    An unbelievable mess! Standing water everywhere as the temps got to 50 degrees F today (same time last week we were minus 29!) It feels like spring outside, you cant drive down off the mountain because of the deep slush and you cant snowmobile down off the mountain because it is too hot for the machines. Oh, well, I did not want to go anywhere today anyway! Soon all the puddles and small rivers will freeze again, the temps will dip the snow will come and we in the frozen north will proceed with the rest of winter! Montana is just one adventure after another!

2. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Member

Same thing here in Eastern Oregon! Not that much snow, but a good amount topped with 2 days worth of ice-storms.
    62*F Today and the main roads here, which are dirt, are a complete mess.
    It is a neat weather event in a twisted way ;)
    -Heather

3. paden

paden Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the same thing as well.

Last Friday it was -35 with a high temp of -26. I wake up yesterday morning to 43 degrees, it's almost 50 this morning. The snow is pretty much gone now. I just hope the ground thaws in time for the water to seep in before it gets cold again.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Goodness! I am so glad we are not dealing with that any more! Last year my DD had to commute to school. The neighbors drove her to the bus with their girls. One day they got stuck in the snow in the Jeep and took hours to dig them out. Less than a week later it ALL melted and they were stuck in the MUD. The neighbors gave up on the Jeep and chained up the Subaru. It was the only thing that seemed to be able to go in all that.

5. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere in Oregon hit 70F yesterday...

I see Spearfish, SD was over 60F...

I wish I had some mountains around me...:) I guess with temp changes like that, it probably is pretty hard on stuff, along with people

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Wasn't it amazing? And incredible that it spread through out the entire northwest region like that! Sat. night we had freezing rain, and by Monday morning it was all melting...but what an icy mess! And poof, that evening it was all gone...even the 4 foot snowmen in the yard!

Now we've got flood watches as the rivers are rising!

7. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was amazing to wake up to most of the snow gone overnight. Nothing but slushy gumbo now and a breezy but pleasant 60 *. Nice to give the wood stove a reprieve though. This is our first winter here and we're loving it all. The changes in weather sure keep it interesting. Never had my nostrils freeze before last week~ Definitely an interesting sensation~ :)
    Steph

8. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

sisterpine, I'm north of you and we're having the same chinook, they might have their drawbacks but after three weeks of extreme cold and agressive storms, I can learn to like the slush for a while. It's sure nice to not have to add several layers of insulation before heading out to do chores.

9. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Last week we had 9 inches of snow with an inch of freezing rain on top here at see level. This week the snow level is at 9,000 feet and it rained like crazy until the snow was gone. Now it is just that warm wind.

I turned the furnace off 2 days ago but had to open the windows yesterday and they are still open today. I'm trying to cool the house off a bit.